Corner cabinet finished

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Great stuff as usual Dave :eusa_clap
You may wanna take up those offers to buy it and replace with one made of poplar :eusa_thin It would be heartless to paint that :eusa_hand

Roger

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Beautiful work, Dave!!!!!!!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

I too would like to know a little more about the drawers???

Perhaps if you just counted up the of people voting for "NO PAINT" and passed that along to the recipients would be enough to convince them to leave it just as it stands .....showing off its true colors!!!!!

Wayne

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
May I join the others when I say how nice the cabinet turned out. The wood is new to me but beautiful, as to the waste of space within the cabinet, when you make something for family member, they will only see the beauty of the piece not the extra space. Let's hope no one thinks to put paint anywhere near it, you will be the first one to cry and they might not get another gift from you. Lorraine

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
tell the elves NICE JOB!!!!:icon_thum what color ya gonna paint it? peach?????:rolf: haveing the drawers shallow make for a kewl hiding place in the carcas to STASH STUFF!!!!:roll:

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Great job Dave.
Oh please dont let me know that someone would put paint on that.
I'll take 2 of those please :eusa_clap.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
DaveO..............................................
.......................................................... I can't find the word's! great choice of wood combo -Wow -please don't let them paint it! Jim:eusa_naug

nelsone

New User
Ed
If I were you, I'd tell Mom&Dad that if they want it painted you'll take that one back and make them a very nice one out of some curly MDF!:rolf:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I am about to start some drawer construction so would like to know more about how you did those.

I too would like to know a little more about the drawers???
Wayne

Not exactly sure what y'all want to know. The drawer construction is pretty simple. I made a mortise with a 3/8" Forstner bit that accepts the 3/8" drawer sides. And used a 3/8" x 3/16" rabbet on the back of the sides for the back joint

Spalted Beech corner cab..jpg

The bottoms are 1/4" Oak ply (scrap wood) that is glued on the front and back.

The drawers are guided by L shaped runners spanning the web frame that keep it in line, and a kicker glued to the underside of the web frame to keep them from tipping forward. The drawer sides are 1/16" smaller than the face frame opening, and this keeps them in place more than the kicker. I decided to go with overlay drawers to maximize the inside drawer space. They overlay an inch on the sides and 1/2 inch on the top and bottom. The top two drawer fronts are 4" tall, the next 5" and the bottom 6". That came from quite a bit of sketching trial and error to find a nice graduated drawer size, that fit within the front size, and didn't use a board wider than 6" (limit of my jointer), I didn't want to rip and glue to make a larger front.

Does that cover it?:-D

Dave:)

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Not exactly sure what y'all want to know. The drawer construction is pretty simple. I made a mortise with a 3/8" Forstner bit that accepts the 3/8" drawer sides. And used a 3/8" x 3/16" rabbet on the back of the sides for the back joint

View attachment 4131

The bottoms are 1/4" Oak ply (scrap wood) that is glued on the front and back.

The drawers are guided by L shaped runners spanning the web frame that keep it in line, and a kicker glued to the underside of the web frame to keep them from tipping forward. The drawer sides are 1/16" smaller than the face frame opening, and this keeps them in place more than the kicker. I decided to go with overlay drawers to maximize the inside drawer space. They overlay an inch on the sides and 1/2 inch on the top and bottom. The top two drawer fronts are 4" tall, the next 5" and the bottom 6". That came from quite a bit of sketching trial and error to find a nice graduated drawer size, that fit within the front size, and didn't use a board wider than 6" (limit of my jointer), I didn't want to rip and glue to make a larger front.

Does that cover it?:-D

Dave:)

That more than does it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks a bunch, Dave!! You did a wonderful job on that there cabinet! Just don't let them paint it!!!

Thanks again for the details!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Wayne

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Nice work, Dave! I'd just tell the parents that paint will rot that particular wood. It needs to breathe!!! Anything but paint!:eusa_naug:eusa_naug:eusa_naug

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Nice job!

ToeNailer

New User
Jim
Dave........Very nice work on the corner cab......

Hope all is well with you and your family! Nice to get stuff done this time of year!

Jim

Ralrick

New User
Rick
Dave -

Just don't forget to remind them that spalted quartersawn Beech (Fagus grandiflora) is paint soluable. They can paint the cabinet if they want, but all that will be left in about 6 months is a pool of paint and 4 metal drawer handles. . . . It looks great now, ask if they would be more interested in stripping the other pieces of furniture rather than painting this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS