Corner cabinet finished

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Well, I have finished my corner cabinet (set of drawers) for my parents (Christmas gift). It is constructed out of spalted quartersawn Beech (Fagus grandiflora) harvested by our beloved Jeff, and dried by Scott (butchered by me :lol:)
The finish is blond shellac, which I am not 100% satisfied with. See this thread http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11209 I might continue to work on it, but I really must get on to my next X-mas project.

It's 30" tall, about 26" wide, and 16" deep. The sides and face(s) are all solid glued-up panels with dadoes to house the floating web frame that provides the drawer supports/guides. The web frames are only glued to the front face and have a little room to allow the carcass to move. I ended up managing to get a screw driver inside and was able to use Z-clips to attach the top securely. The drawers are about 7" deep with the sides mortised into the fronts and rabbet joints for the backs. The bottoms are 1/4" Oak ply.

Now the pics :-D

Copy_of_Spalted_Beech_corner_cab_001.jpg

Copy_of_Spalted_Beech_corner_cab_003.jpg

Copy_of_Spalted_Beech_corner_cab_008.jpg

Thanks for looking, comments and critiques are always welcome.

Dave:)

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Nice Dave.. really really nice. I saw this project last weekend. I couldn't wait to see how it turned out. You parents will be shocked I think.

J

jeff...

Dave that's really pretty, it kinda grows on you the more you look at it. Anyways I think I was the one who butchered that wood - you made it into something very nice.

Thanks

T

toolferone

:eusa_pray please don't let them paint it! Dave that came out great! Are you please on how the drawers work?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
:eusa_pray please don't let them paint it! Dave that came out great! Are you please on how the drawers work?

Tom, my goal was to let them see the beauty of the wood, in hopes they couldn't paint it :eusa_pray:eusa_pray. But they asked for it painted, I refuse to paint furniture for anyone but the Boss, so they will have to commit the sin themselves.
I like the way the drawers work and I feel that they have good capacity, although there is still a lot of wasted space in the carcass :-|

Dave:)

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Hmmm, looks like those drawer fronts didn't come out nice and flush, each front has this shallow ridge around it. I guess your parents can just fill it with some wood putty and then paint it. BTW, next time you're at the Borg, you may want to look at this stuff called MDF. It is cheap, and it comes in large sizes so you don't have to bother with gluing up individual panels!

OK, I can't go on with this joke - that piece is just too beautiful. I really like the dimensions, it's stout without being bulky. Nice choice of hardware too. Do they make a clear anti-graffiti varnish you could apply?

Bas.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
DaveO, THAT ROCKS! If you're parents aren't happy with the wood, I'll build them one just like it out of popular and take that one, I LOVE THAT WOOD!

Keep up the amazing projects, it makes my case with the wife to put up w/ my woodworking (or lack thereof here recently) that much stronger....I always see pics like yours and I grab Erin, "see baby, when I get outta school I can make stuff like that for you!!"

Get those shop elves working boss man!

nelsone

New User
Ed
You weren't kidding about the figure! You (or those elves!) really did a nice job on that. I think you should let your folks know it will be a mortal sin to paint that piece!

4yanks

New User
Willie
Very nice. Building a corner cabinet is a bit of a challenge; let alone one with drawers. I think you pulled it off very well.

RandyJ

New User
Randy
That is a beautiful piece, Dave! I would have to agree with the "no paint" crowd. The wood is just too nice to hide.
Have you started on MY Christmas present yet:lol::wink_smil:wav:??????

MikeH

New User
Mike
Dave that is absolutely beautiful! Great job!!! :icon_thumI'm sure I missed it, but how did you mount the top?

DavidF

New User
David
That is really, really nice Dave, great design too! I am about to start some drawer construction so would like to know more about how you did those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS