chisel sharpening info

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmccarter

New User
chester
Can someone give me a rough starting angle to sharpen my chisels. I have a ws3000 for most things and a 6"grinder with a home made jig for the gouges.

rough gouge
spindle gouge
bowl gouge

thanks

chester
:wconfused:

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Chester: There are so many choices here that it is tough to answer. Bowl gouges in particular have many grinds and even more advocates of one kind or another. Personally I have only used the swept back wings that is now commonly referred to as the Ellsworth grind. I used his book to set up the geometry of my jig (I use a disk sander not a grinder) and quite frankly have no idea what the actual angle of the grind is.

My roughing gouge is also sharpened using my disk sander, freehand. The angle is somewhat less than 45 degrees I would guess, but that likely changes over time. Initially I simply tried to sharpen at the angle that was already there upon purchase.

Spindle gouge - I've not used this one much at all, but I think the more useful angle is far steeper (more pointed than my bowl gouge); this allows finer details to be created. Again I have never measured the angle, just sharpened at the existing angle.

I hope that helps - I managed to try to answer your question and only used 1 numerical term!

Henry W

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS