Cherry Plywood

Status
Not open for further replies.

swlaw72

New User
Stephen
I am creating a wood desktop and I used cherry on the edges and cherry plywood in the center. But when I sanded the cherry plywwod it removed some of the cherry top and now I am left with plywood in some areas.
Is there anyway to fix this or do I need to start over??
Thanks in advance for your advice.
Stephen

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Assuming that the damage is confined to, say, 1" from the solid cherry, you could route out about 1/8" deep by 2" wide and add a thin cherry picture frame to the top.

bobby g

swlaw72

New User
Stephen
The damage is right up against the cherry wood.... I thought about doing a black paint border where the damage is? Any ideas on that???

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
The damage is right up against the cherry wood.... I thought about doing a black paint border where the damage is? Any ideas on that???

A fancy strip of inlay may work as well depending upon the width you may need to eliminate the sand through.

Wayne

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
+1 on the inlay. You could even do an epoxy inlay if a wood inlay wouldn't work.

Depending where it is, could you build something on it like a monitor stand or a pen holder?

Could you use a Forstner bit and drop in a medallion, matching it on the opposite side?

You could try to match the grain and patch it with the veneer from a scrap piece of plywood.

Could you cut down that side and install a thicker solid cherry edge? If it is on the front or especially the back of the desk the asymmetry would add interest.

If you use inlay, you wouldn't have to inlay all the way around. For example you could cut a diagonal groove and inlay a contrasting piece of wood across the center. Or, scribe an arc and do the same thing. Or inlay a square and then do the same thing at the same spot on the left right, front and back. Turn it into an accent. This could be a subtle or as strong as you choose.

I generally try to use some type of inlay when I sand through a plywood's veneer. It can force you to make an even more beautiful and unique item.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
Since the damage is up against the banding, remove the hardwood banding, cut the plywood to remove tearout; replace banding...

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Since the damage is up against the banding, remove the hardwood banding, cut the plywood to remove tearout; replace banding...

+1. This is what I would do.

Depending on how much you need to trim away, you may have to go to a wider banding to keep the desk top at your finished size.

Red

bwat

New User
Bill
A small patch using cherry veneer might be the simplist approach, especially in a non-key area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS