Charlotte NC lumber run

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeff...

Hello everyone – I’ve had several inquiries about a Charlotte, NC lumber run. I’ve been thinking how I might be able to pull this off. Considering I really don’t want to carry any more than 1000 BF on my trailer and Charlotte is approximately 200 miles from my neck of the woods, it's simply not feasible for me to do so. However, Ted knows a retired truck driver with a Ford F350 and a flat bed goose neck trailer that can pull up to 4000BF, he works part time when he wants too, delivering stuff from here to there.

If we can get 3000 BF of lumber at .15 more a BF than our delivery rate to Raleigh, we can pay to have the lumber transported from here to there and the Charlotte members would still get good lumber at a good price, which is my mission statement. I know 3000 BF is a lot of lumber, but if we have enough interested members in the Charlotte area, I think this is do-able. We would need to pick out a pick up location somewhere in North Charlotte similar to the Harbor Freight parking lot in Raleigh. We would bring the lumber to that location and you would pick up your order from there. We can work out a pickup location later.

That being said I’m starting this thread to gauge interest. With the intent to commit on our side.

Charlotte delivery lumber prices are as follows:

* Flat sawn Black Walnut $1.65 a BF
* Flat sawn through and through (natural edges) Wild Black Cherry $2.65 a BF (200 BF left)
* Quarter Sawn White Oak $1.65 a BF
* Quarter Sawn Red Oak $1.65 a BF
* Flat sawn White Oak $1.15 a BF
* Flat sawn Red Oak $1.15 a BF
* Flat sawn Eastern Red Cedar $1.20 a BF
* Flat sawn Soft Maple $1.45 a BF
* Flat sawn Poplar 1.05 a BF
* Flat sawn (wide board 12" wide not to exceed 22") Pecan (Hickory) $1.90 a BF
* Flat sawn Black Locust $1.25 a BF
* Flat sawn Red Elm $1.15 a BF
* Flat sawn Sweet Gum $.90 a BF
* Flat sawn Beech $1.25 a BF
* Flat sawn Ash $1.15 a BF

The above list is a quick inventory of what Ted and I identified in the log yard and is readily available to be made into lumber. We both know there are more species out there, but this is what we came up with at a quick glance in a few mins.

If there is a particular species your looking for that’s not listed please reply to this thread and I will chase down availability and pricing. I’m thinking this thread will do one of two things, spark interest and remain open till 3000BF is reached within a resaonable amount of time or be closed due to lack of interest.

We have not sawed the logs yet, so we can include custom quarter inch sawing within reason (4/4, 5/4, 6/4, 8/4, 12/4, long bowl blank, etc...) at no additional cost. However if you want a bunch of 2x2’s, veneer, boards over 10" wide or something wild and crazy, we’ll need to talk. All lumber being offered for this run will rough cut, fresh off the log.

If you’re interested in placing an order, please reply to this post. Specify species, quarter inch thickness, width and length preference. I only have a 200 PM message limit and I frequently have to clean it out, so it would be much easier to use this thread for correspondences. If this works out, those who have also inquired about Asheville and Wilmington runs could expect something similar in the near future.

Thanks

---------------------------------------- Orders ------------------------------------------
* Tarhead 60BF QSRO (30BF 8/4 + 30BF 4/4) wide as possible and 8ft long.

Totals: 60 BF Sold / 2940 BF left to sell.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Jeff,
Thanks for working on a trip to CLT!
Put me in for:
QSRO (30BF 8/4 + 30BF 4/4) wide as possible and 8ft long

J

jeff...

Jeff,
Thanks for working on a trip to CLT!
Put me in for:
QSRO (30BF 8/4 + 30BF 4/4) wide as possible and 8ft long

Thanks Mark - I'll add you to the first post in this thread, 60 BF it's a great start, only 2940 BF left to sell.

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
Jeff,

I think I could probably do 150 bd ft of 8/4 RO. Flatsawn will probably work, but may change to quarter sawn....I will get back to you on that!

- Brandon

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
You know I would be interested, however I've drained the wood budget with the recent haul from bonewood and a purchase from Kyle.

When would this happen (around about timeframe)? Maybe I'll have wood money by then.

J

jeff...

Jeremy - Depends when this would occur - I put this thread out there to gauage intrest if there is enough intrest to make it to 3000 BF then it'll be a go, If not then it'll be a no go.
My hope is we could have enough orders within the next few month for 3000 BF. But I don;t expect to keep the thread open any longer than a few months.

- All lumber being offered for this run will be rough cut, fresh off the log. So yes green like before.

Thanks

J

jeff...

Hi Jeff,

I would like 120 bf of 8/4 beech, 8 foot lengths please.

May I ask what your going to end up using the beech for? There are to logs out there - one is a but log and one is a crotch log. The butt log will have the straightest grain, the crotch log will have the figured grain in the upper part of the boards.

Thanks

thrytis

New User
Eric
May I ask what your going to end up using the beech for? There are to logs out there - one is a but log and one is a crotch log. The butt log will have the straightest grain, the crotch log will have the figured grain in the upper part of the boards.

Thanks

Hi Jeff,

I'm planning on using it for a workbench and any extra for random shop stuff. Save the nice figured wood for someone making some furniture or something else that will benefit from it.

Thanks.

thrytis

New User
Eric
OK i'll cut you some 8/4 off the butt and avoid the pith as much as possible. Anyway you could make lumber run #4, this Sunday at 11:00 to pick it up?

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6831

Tom asked if he could pick up his order next week from the log yard, so I got plenty of room on the trailer now.

Thanks

Sorry, i can't make it this Sunday. I may be able to make it out to Raleigh to pick it up during another run, but i need to take a look at my car to make sure i can fit it in comfortably enough for a 150 mile trip. I'm pretty sure i can though. I've got all my tools stored in the place i plan to put the lumber, so ideally i would like to wait to pick up the wood until after i can move my tools out, which will be about three weeks.

Thanks.

J

jeff...

Sorry, i can't make it this Sunday. I may be able to make it out to Raleigh to pick it up during another run, but i need to take a look at my car to make sure i can fit it in comfortably enough for a 150 mile trip. I'm pretty sure i can though. I've got all my tools stored in the place i plan to put the lumber, so ideally i would like to wait to pick up the wood until after i can move my tools out, which will be about three weeks.

Thanks.

WOW you must have a big car, keep an eye on weight too, 120 BF of Beech will weigh approx 540 LBS Wooden Calculator

Thanks

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
my poor little truck was sagging under the weight of the 100bf of soft maple I got a few weeks ago

thrytis

New User
Eric
Thanks for the link! I had been searching for the weight of green beech, but beech isn't on most charts. I'm sure the 120 BF of beech will be noticeable, but according to the specs and counting my weight i should have a couple of hundred pounds to spare. I measured at lunch and at eight feet the boards will stick out a couple of inches past the bumper. That should be manageable with a some care.

Woodworking is really a hobby for truck owners.

J

jeff...

Thanks.

Thrytis, I've added 120 BF of beach to lumber run #5 http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7068

Please check the first post in the thread and let me know if this is ok by replying to lumber run #5 thread.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS