Cedar Hot deals - literally

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I've been using cedar planks for cooking salmon for a while.

I just go down to the borg and buy a 1x6.

-Mark

fergy

New User
Fergy
The PNW native americans did it for centuries...it started to pick back up there about 10-15 years ago with the gourmets and fancy restaurants. You'll also see it done with alder.

It works quite well, but I'm off the salmon now due to a food allergy so I don't do it anymore.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
My wife bought some of those. For once, I was smart enough not to ask how much and impress her with my math skills...

Glennbear

Glenn
A while back I saw "cedar grilling boards" in the BBQ section at the BORG and just walked away shaking my head. :nah: A quick mental calculation put the price per board foot at about 90 bazillion dollars. :rotflm:Just another case of creative marketing to the uninformed. :wsmile:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I bought me a bundle of cedar shimming shakes about 5 years ago.:widea:

I grab a 5" wide shake and through a salmon steak on it every now and again. "A wee Steak and shake on the Barbee!".:gar-Bi

Wayne

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
From what I have read these are Western Red Cedar not our Eastern Red variety. The Aromatic oils when heated would be kind of nasty to taste and dangerous to inhale.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I had a piece of cedar plank salmon at the Bonefish Grill sometime last year. Call me old fashioned, but it tasted like a #2 lead pencil to me :tinysmile_tongue_t: - and I like salmon. Maybe I missed something........

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
We just happened to have a bit of salmon in the fridge so I thought I'd give this a try.
I didn't have any cedar so I used a leftover slab 4/4 cherry.
Tasted pretty good:icon_thum The smokey flavor went well with the marinade LOML made.

One tip - Don't leave the board on the grill! It might smoke up the neighborhood and catch fire :nah:

Don't ask how I know :dontknow:

pete

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Those and the propane tank exchanges, e.g. Blue Rhino.

-Mark

I usually end up doing that because of time. The potatoes are usually in the oven and the steaks marinating when I figure out the tank is out. I have a gauge, but I often forget to look at it when i am finished cooking. Anyway, 1/2 mile away in any direction I can swap the tank. I am not even sure where the nearest propane filling station is since the nearby hardware store that had it closed a few years ago.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I usually end up doing that because of time. The potatoes are usually in the oven and the steaks marinating when I figure out the tank is out. I have a gauge, but I often forget to look at it when i am finished cooking. Anyway, 1/2 mile away in any direction I can swap the tank. I am not even sure where the nearest propane filling station is since the nearby hardware store that had it closed a few years ago.
When you need it, you need it. But most folks don't realize they are being given a bit of a bath with those swap stations. It happens two ways:

1) the swap-stations don't put 20# of propane into a 20# cylinder. They put somewhere around 15# (check the disclaimers at the swap station).

"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]..Blue Rhino followed the example of other consumer products companies with a product content change. We reduced the amount of propane in our tanks from 17 pounds to 15 pounds."
[/FONT]http://www.bluerhino.com/BRWEB/getd...02-22c401915811/Tank-Exchange.aspx#FAQLink126

2) when you "empty" a propane cylinder, it often has a couple # of propane left it in (due to the physics of liquified gases). If you swap a tank, you re-buy this unusable amount.

--Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS