Calling all pen turners!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cskipper

Cathy
I have been thinking about our troops and how fortunate we are that they are protecting us and our way of life. I'd like find a way to express my gratitude to them. Then I thought about all the very talented members we have in this group and that it would be really cool if a bunch of us made pens and sent them to Michael to distribute. It's a small way for them to know at we care and appreciate them, and we'd feel warm and fuzzy because we'd know that they'd know that we cared (gosh, even I got kind of lost in that sentence). I realize that Woodcraft has an event like this later in the year (which I also hope to participate in), but wondered if we could do our own version of that, only sooner than that one.

I asked Clay if he thought it was a good idea and he said yes and that he'd be happy to participate and possibly coordinate this project (I may take you up on the part Clay). I asked Tom for suggestions about the baggies to put the pens in and he said he could assist there and would also like to contribute some pens. So I asked Michael if he thought they'd appreciate the pens and if he would be willing to be our "distributor". He, very enthusiastically, said yes! He said that the pens would need to be black ink and kind of suggested slimlines but did say that any and all would be appreciated. I double checked with Steve to be sure that I could post this as a NCWW project and he said yes.

So now I am asking members of this group. Would you be willing to turn/donate pens and/or supplies for pen turning to this project? We would need to supply our own pen kits and blanks (Jeff said that he could help out with some blanks) and figure out postage when that time comes. But wouldn't it be awesome if we could send a bunch of pens to the soldiers in the "sandbox"?

(If I forgot anything that I talked with others about, please chime in.)

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Its a cool idea, I will buy some kits/parts/blanks for who ever wants to turn them. Don't worry about shipping once it is all puts together, I know of a way to get them over to the sandbox. And depending if you all want to do this I think it would be cool if we got some exposure for this event. I could send a couple emails to Stars and Stripes (military paper), they love to put stuff like this in there for the troops. It feels good to be supported by our nation. As a soldier I just want to thank Cathy for thinking of this, no matter where it goes. I am more than happy to help in any way possible. Be blessed friends.

Post Script,
I need to know where to buy the supplies for whoever I send them too to make the pens.

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
I have just bought the mandrel and other tools to give pen turning a try so I would be willing to give it a shot and support such a worthy cause. :eusa_danc

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I would be in with at least some pen blanks...you know my scrap collection and I may turn a pen or two also.
Dave:)

dozer

Mike
Count me in I would be glad to turn as many pens as they want just let me know. Fritz at woodturningz has slimlines for $1.65 each if that is the type of pen kits that Michael thinks we should use.

J

jeff...

I'm good for upto 100 3/4x3/4x6" cedar pen blanks. They are dry and should be good to go. Just need to know where to send em...

Thanks

T

toolferone

My store would be willing to discount pen kits and blanks. If shipping was required to you, you would need to cover actual shipping costs (no handling charge)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I'll help out. I am not qualified to turn or make pens, but I will supply blanks (cherry, walnut, mahogany, red and white oak) not sure what is good, and will donate some cash to the cause to cover costs/shipping.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
I think this is fantastic.:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap It's no fun at all, being in the sandbox, or any other theater of operations. A note or a gift from back home means more than just about anything. A pen will stay with a soldier for a long time and continue to remind him or her that we do care. ... and we can't do enough for them.

Ray

clowman

Clay Lowman
I will start by "pledging" a minimum of 5 pens. Depending on the deadline for this project, it may be more. This is a good idea Cathy.

Come on turners... this is a great opportunity. Let's see how many pens we can send over...

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
This is a great idea Cathy. I am not a turner but I could send some $$ to help cover some of the cost if you get this rolling. Just let me know where to send it.

Greybeard

New User
Pat
Fantastic idea, Cathy! Count me in on this one! :eusa_clap As long as I have a mask on, I think I can handle turning a bunch of pens. I, depending on the chemo, may only get one or two a day done. I just depends on the energy level! Just let me know the drop dead date for having them done.
I will have to check my supply of pen kits and blanks. I will let you know!

Pat :)

cskipper

Cathy
Thanks everybody for all your generous offers. You guys and gals always amaze me at your willingness to get behind a worthwhile project! How about setting a shipping date of for the end of Sept or at the latest by the 17th of Oct? How many pens do we think we can get made?

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Living in Camden I am in close proximity to Fort Jackson in Columbia. My wife and I often go to a restaraunt that is located within a mile or so from the main gate of the fort.
One style of pen I make is a casing pen with antler on the top portion.
I make it a point to carry one of these when we go out to eat.
Because of their hair cuts and their posture it is relatively easy to spot on of our soldiers. When I do spot a "candidate" I strike up a converstaion with him(sometimes a her) and ask if they are stationed at the fort.Ft. Jackson is a training base along with a "boot camp".
Once I ascertain they are stationed there(Usually for as little as two weeks) I thank them for their service to their country and protecting me and my family and I give them a pen and ask them to use it to write letters home.
This is my own way of supporting our troups.I realize as in the freedom pen project it is the thought that counts, but in the past I have seen"turn a thons" held at various woodworking sites and there seems to be a competition to see how many pens can be turned out in the shortest amount of time.
I cannot do that type of pen making.I applaude those who can work on a production line basis but I can't. The quality of a pen I give to a service person is the same quality of pen I sell.
I have been doing this for over a year now and would rather not say how may pens I have given out.
I also understand my "personal freedom pen project" is a little selfish as I get to see the reaction when I as a stranger walks up to a soldier and thanks them.
Our men and women in service that receive my pens have had reactions ranging from joy to tears but I have always had a great feeling when I walk away from them.
If you have a military base near you have you considered your own "personal pen project"?

cskipper

Cathy
I don't have a base near me, but feel that Michael is my point of contact. We have other members who have children who are also in the military.

gsdoby

New User
Gary
Count me in to heip with this. I will try to figure out how many I will have the time to turn this weekend so I can start next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS