Buying first (and last) lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

rherrell

New User
Rick Herrell
I want to buy a lathe for $ 1,000 or less. I also don't want to have to buy a bigger and better one down the road. Since it will only be used on weekends as a hobby it doesn't have to be top of the line.
I also realize that I better plan on adding another $1,000 for accessories, tools and sharpening equipment.
I really like the JET model 1442 vsk with cast iron legs. Everything I've read about this machine seems positive. I welcome any suggestions on any other machines and also videos and books for a newbie.
Thanks
Rick

Ken Weaver

New User
Ken Weaver
Have you looked for a used one? They don't wear out and you might be able to score a good tool for less than the $1k in your budget. It is a slippery slope and the tools and sharpening systems are not a place to skimp. I found a 60-year old Delta in a barn for $150. Spent more than that on the Wolverine sharpening system.

jtdums

New User
Jim
I own a 1442 and have been very pleased with it. I bought it used and that is sound advise as far as I am concerned. I learned via a class on the 1442 and that was a major factor in my decision making process. I turn a variety of items including bowls upto about 13". (Realistically turning a 14" bowl on a 14" lathe is not simple.)
I have had no problems with the 1442 and thus far it is dependable and according to those with far more experience a good deal even for the full price.

T

toolferone

I know I sell these things, but that Jet is my favorite lathe in that price range.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Rick,
I'm no expert here but you will get a lot more lathe for your money used and most parts are either available from the manufacturer or as aftermarket items. Is $1000 your budget for the lathe itself or lathe, tools, sharpening system, chucks, etc. From everything I've found since getting started on the slippery slope, the lathe is only half the story.

woodguy1975

New User
John
I would vote for the Jet 14" as well. I have the 1642 and can't say anything but good things about it. I'm not a grizzly fan, but grizzly makes the same lathe that sells for a few bucks less. Since most of these imports are made in the same plant I suspect this one would perform adequately. It is missing the handwheel on the outboard side, but they seem very similar. Given your budget I suspect you'll run way over by the time you get all the necesssary tools you'll need (ie want).

Good Luck,

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS