ARMY - ACU pen complete and shipped!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeH

New User
Mike
I am not a fan of acrylic pens. There are people overseas in sweatshops making a living casting doodads or company logos into acrylic pens and are sold for less than $10.00. That is one reason I don't make that type of blank.
Your method of CA build up method could be streamlined by casting your tube in clear resin.
A product called Alumilite sets in less than 5 minutes but needs to be cast under pressure.
You could also cast it in clear PR.
This would speed up your process.
Here's where I am going with this.
Once you have cast the blank with the emblem in it your turning finishing time per pen would be less than an hour, some guys turn acrylic pens make them in less than ten minutes.
I had to put a dollar figure on the blanks I make and decided $20.00 bucks an hour is not unreasonable when you consider that's my shop rate.(Utilities, wear and tear on tools machinery and someting for me.
To determine how long it takes to make a blank I bought a couple of stop watches at Wally World.
Whenever I start a different design I start the watch,This goes for dimensioning stock, prepping glue ups etc.Once I stop working on that particular piece I stop the clock and restart it the next time I need to start working on it.
THis is not a fun thing to do, it kind of takes the enjoyment out of it but the pens I make from the blanks I make are for more time consuming than drilling a hole and glueing in a tube in a beautiful piece of wood and I have decided that my blanks are unique enough that I am not going to work for nothing.
That is the point I am trying to make here with your blanks.The one you did for your brother was motivated by something special.
If others want the same type of pen, are they willing to pay for it?
By casting the blanks in resin you will also be able to make other styles.
The question you have to ask yourself is at 6 hours per pen what can I sell it for based on how much I want to pay myself.
Eventually someone in Taiwan will be using your concept and making them for far less than you can.
Strike while the iron is hot if you want to be a "production turner"
Good luck in whatever you decide.
Again a great job an a great idea motivated by love.
Thank your brother for me also.

Thanks for the advice Eagle. My brother says you're welcome. He really liked the pen. :eusa_danc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors