ARMY - ACU pen complete and shipped!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeH

New User
Mike
As many of you know my brother is in the Army and is being deployed in a couple weeks. He is an officer in the 25th Infantry Division and they are known as Tropic Lightning. I wanted to make a pen for my brother to take with him and wanted to include the Division emblem. Here is the final pen. I shipped it overnight and my brother should have it tomorrow.

Please let me know what you think.

IMG_10451.JPG

IMG_1055.JPG

charlie s

New User
Charles
Mike:

The pen looks great! I know you spent a lot of time planning and executing the plan and it will be very much appreciated I'm sure.

Any developments at work?

Charles

M

McRabbet

Very nice job, Mike -- your brother will love it!! But every one in his unit will want one, too, so plan on making more!

MikeH

New User
Mike
Mike:

The pen looks great! I know you spent a lot of time planning and executing the plan and it will be very much appreciated I'm sure.

Any developments at work?

Charles

Yes actually. I got the job. I start Jan 2. Maybe I can stop by some weekend and visit.

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
That is truly a one-of-a-kind. Care to elaborate on how you made it? Great job :eusa_clap

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Mike, you pulled it off perfectly. Awesome pen, and I know it will be highly coveted in his unit :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Dave:)

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum
In the event you didn't count, that's 10 thumbs up!
I consider a B2B slimline one of the most difficult style of pens to turn.
Your brother will be proud to carry and use it and I am sure will be the envy of all that see's it.
Don't be surprised if you are requested to make more.
Great job on a pen turned with not only your hands but heart.
(I don't think you;ll be able to locate one like that at Office Max):eusa_naug

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Great job on the pen. Save those pictures. I can see that on the 2009 calendar.

Mike, We will pray for your brother as we pray for all those who put themselves in harms way for us.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Great job. That is a very special pen. I'm sure your brother will be very proud to carry that pen with him. It will also be a reminder of how much he is loved by his family. And like others have said, you probably will get request for more.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Awesome pen and very unique! Might want to consider making a few dozen of them ... as I'm sure they'd sell quick and it would fund your projects! :-D

MikeH

New User
Mike
Thanks all!!! He should have it sometime today and I eagerly await his response. There was a lot of love that went into the pen.

To the point of how I made it....

The material is actual ACU material glued to the brass barrel and then built up with CA. The emblem was printed on photo paper and I carefully cut it out and glued it to the material prior to the build up. If I get more orders I'll have to figure out a way to speed up the process as I have about 6 hours in the one pen.

I showed it to a friend in the Navy reserves yesterday and he placed an order for one. I expect to get a few more orders once my brother's guys see it.

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
I am not a fan of acrylic pens. There are people overseas in sweatshops making a living casting doodads or company logos into acrylic pens and are sold for less than $10.00. That is one reason I don't make that type of blank.
Your method of CA build up method could be streamlined by casting your tube in clear resin.
A product called Alumilite sets in less than 5 minutes but needs to be cast under pressure.
You could also cast it in clear PR.
This would speed up your process.
Here's where I am going with this.
Once you have cast the blank with the emblem in it your turning finishing time per pen would be less than an hour, some guys turn acrylic pens make them in less than ten minutes.
I had to put a dollar figure on the blanks I make and decided $20.00 bucks an hour is not unreasonable when you consider that's my shop rate.(Utilities, wear and tear on tools machinery and someting for me.
To determine how long it takes to make a blank I bought a couple of stop watches at Wally World.
Whenever I start a different design I start the watch,This goes for dimensioning stock, prepping glue ups etc.Once I stop working on that particular piece I stop the clock and restart it the next time I need to start working on it.
THis is not a fun thing to do, it kind of takes the enjoyment out of it but the pens I make from the blanks I make are for more time consuming than drilling a hole and glueing in a tube in a beautiful piece of wood and I have decided that my blanks are unique enough that I am not going to work for nothing.
That is the point I am trying to make here with your blanks.The one you did for your brother was motivated by something special.
If others want the same type of pen, are they willing to pay for it?
By casting the blanks in resin you will also be able to make other styles.
The question you have to ask yourself is at 6 hours per pen what can I sell it for based on how much I want to pay myself.
Eventually someone in Taiwan will be using your concept and making them for far less than you can.
Strike while the iron is hot if you want to be a "production turner"
Good luck in whatever you decide.
Again a great job an a great idea motivated by love.
Thank your brother for me also.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Good advice Eagle! I understand your stand on the cast pens and agree to some extent.

For multiple orders for this style though, casting is the ticket. Besides, your brother has the special pen. The others don't need to have the sentiment attached. You could cast a significant number of blanks at a time and turn them down in no time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors