Another trip to the Woodworking Source

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Less than two weeks ago I found out that I was getting a decent tax refund. I decided to use some of the money to buy something that I recently decided I really [strike]wanted[/strike] needed...a new jointer.
I posted questions about which one I should choose, and was given great advice. The best of all was to talk to Rick at the Woodworking Source. I contacted him and he made me a deal on a ShopFox 8" spiral head 3hp jointer that he had in stock. Having dealt with Rick before I knew I couldn't go wrong.
And to sweeten the deal he mentioned that Scott Smith was planning on coming down the next weekend to purchase a wide belt sander from him. Some PM's to Scott and we had our travel plans arranged.
Well now what to do with my old jointer, well that was quickly solved by making it available to Steve Kendal who had just recently joined the site and was looking for a used jointer with a good price. Thanks to JimmyC for giving me and Steve the heads up on that deal.
Well Scott and I headed out this morning for Mooresville. We had a slight delay on the way as the trailer was pulling as well as Scott thought it should. We quickly found out that one of the tires was crowning badly and might lose it'a tread. We pulled into a Carquest and got the right sized lug wrench and changed out the tire at a rate the would make a Nascar pit crew jealous -

New_Jointer_001.jpg

We continued on our way. We took Hwy. 64 most of the way and Scott and I enjoyed some very nice scenery and good conversation the whole way.

Once we got to the Woodworking Source we wasted no time (well maybe a little) in rigging up Scott's new wide belt sander and loading it on to his trailer -

New_Jointer_003.jpg

New_Jointer_004.jpg

New_Jointer_005.jpg

It's nice to have a big fork lift when Scott is buying machinery :icon_thum:icon_thum

Next came the "little load" my ¼ ton jointer -

New_Jointer_006.jpg

New_Jointer_007.jpg

Everything safe and sound on the trailer and well strapped down -

New_Jointer_009.jpg

For some reason my tool next to Scott's tool doesn't look so big :tinysmile_cry_t: But it's really the trailer size throwing it all off...Yeah, that's it :gar-La;:gar-La;

I really want to thank the motley crew that showed up to witness the tool buying and help with the loading -

New_Jointer_010.jpg

Left to right we have Danny (Partman), TracyP, Me, Scott, Rick (thesource), and Tracy's son 02Ranger.
Not pictured, but there help was Greg Bender, he left to early for the pics. And thank-you to Danny's lovely wife for taking the pic.

After a stop for some excellent BBQ in China Grove, Scott and I arrived home to unload my jointer. Having a massive trailer with a drop down ramp made this pretty easy. The built in mobile base allowed us to roll it into my shop without too much effort.

And here she is in my shop -

New_Jointer_011.jpg

I still have to clean off the Gorilla snot on it, and Wire me up a new 220v circuit. But with Scott's expert advice I feel very comfortable running the new line. I hope to get her powered up tomorrow. Reviews to follow.
I want to thank Scott and Rick for making this happen, and everyone else for making this another great NCWW experience.
This is a great site with a lot of great members that really know how to help a guy buy his biggest tool purchase yet.
One heck of a Saturday, thanks to NCWW.
Thanks everybody :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Respectfully submitted,
Dave:)

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Looks like a good time on a great day, Dave. We're all expecting a full. detailed report on the new equipment.:icon_cheers

Matt

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Congratulations on the nice score Dave and Scott:icon_thum and a :eusa_clap to the NCWWer's that showed up to help you guys load those machines up

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I really want to thank the motley crew that showed up to witness the tool buying and help with the loading -

New_Jointer_010.jpg

Left to right we have Danny (Partman), TracyP, Me, Scott, Rick (thesource), and Tracy's son 02Ranger.
Not pictured, but there help was Greg Bender, he left to early for the pics. And thank-you to Danny's lovely wife for taking the pic.

I want to thank Scott and Rick for making this happen, and everyone else for making this another great NCWW experience.
This is a great site with a lot of great members that really know how to help a guy buy his biggest tool purchase yet.
One heck of a Saturday, thanks to NCWW.
Thanks everybody :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Respectfully submitted,
Dave:)

Dave, GREAT PIX and writeup! As always, I thoroughly enjoyed our time together and visiting with Rick, Danny, Tracy, 02Ranger and Greg made the day even better. One person that you missed was that Steve Sanders - he stopped by while Rick and I were up front and we were able to visit for 10 minutes or so. The last time that I saw him was when we were loading up some of Jeff Mill's "Diving Boards" at the last lumber run. It was great to see Steve again - especially after his recent health scare.

I'm doing some volunteer work today, but am looking forward to unloading the sander and placing it in the shop later this afternoon. Thanks much for all of your assistance with loading, unloading, and tire repair!

Scott

ps - there were also some other goodies obtained from The Moulding Source yesterday that didn't make it into the pix; I'm looking forward to installing the Kreg miter saw track guide system when I build the new workbench. Thank you Travis for the Kreg recommendation, and thank you Rick for the great deal on the new toyls!

Last edited by a moderator:

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Yeah, I see that smirk as you look up at Daves lil tool! :rotflm:

:rolf:

I'll say this though - it's didn't look so small when only Dave and I were moving it from the back of the trailer into his shop! It didn't roll too well on the dirt, and last night my back and leg muscles were letting me know! At 500 lbs (or thereabouts), it's a respectable hunk of iron.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Yup, a fun day it was. I always have a good time when I visit with other NCWW members. Where else can you assist other people in spending their money and talk woodworking. Dave thanks for delivering my package for me.

Glennbear

Glenn
Thanks for sharing this tool adventure Dave, I wish you many years of fun woodworking with the new machine. Scott, don't forget to keep a stepladder handy to dust the top of the new machine now and then :rotflm:

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Nice haul and a nice trip. Congrats Dave and Scott. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

I'm staying outta the big vs lil tool discussion in order to save the mods some work!! :rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

Brian.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Congrats Dave!!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

That sure sounds like a very smooth and orderly upgrade to me. A lot of folks won on this one!:icon_thum:icon_thum

Oh ya. You do ROCK!!!!

Wayne

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Given the nature of the machines purchased, I'd say
ConFLATulations are in order.:gar-La;:icon_thum
If Scott is gonna use that sander on all his wood before he sells it, there won't be much for the buyer to do once they get it.

T

toolferone

Nice going you all! Yup lookas a good time was had by all.

On a side note, with my new work schedule you will have your jointer up and running way before mine, and i've had mine 2 months already!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors