Another great day for the Dark Side...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
My day started out with a little flat joy as my parents got to see their custom stereo cabinet in person, but then turned into a full blown dark side fest.
MRAudio815 (Mathew) and Erassmusen (Earl) came by around lunch to relieve me of my HF lathe. Earl brought another one of his spectacular segmented turning for me to drool on, and Matt brought some plywood to pass on to other members. After a lot of chitchat we disassembled my HF lathe and loaded it into Matt's truck -

New_ShopFox_lathe_002.jpg

Yeah, we made Matt do all the work.
Here's the scoundrels absconding with my old lathe -

New_ShopFox_lathe_003.jpg

Well the absence of the HF lathe left quite a void in my shop, not to mention a mess....I really should clean under the lathe more often. It's a bad bowl graveyard -

New_ShopFox_lathe_001.jpg

Shortly after Matt and Earl left, JimmyC dropped by to pick-up some some of Matt's Plywood, and some serious hunks of MDF.

Well after all that excitement I decided to start unpacking my new ShopFox lathe to see what it looked like. I set up the legs and moved things around so this beast would fit where the old HF lathe used to be.
All a sudden Trent Mason dropped by. Perfect I needed a second strong back to help me set the bed on the legs. My 70 year old Dad offered to help, but having a strapping young buck available was a much smarter idea.
Trent and I grunted the bed onto the legs, and bolted her down. The center lined up perfectly and the lathe is dead-on and perfect -

New_ShopFox_lathe_004.jpg

And her she is, along with her happy owner -

New_ShopFox_lathe_005.jpg

Yeah, I know, there's no dust on it YET. That will come tomorrow as I have house guests, and can't spend the whole day having fun in the shop with my NCWW'er buddies and new lathe.
Stay tuned for my review on the ShopFox lathe.

Dave:)

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Sounds like a great day. :gar-Bi

Congrats on getting the lathe set up. :icon_thum:icon_thum

Brian.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
What? no blocks after I ran out to the shop to measure it for you:rotflm::rotflm:. You will love it.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
What? no blocks after I ran out to the shop to measure it for you:rotflm::rotflm:. You will love it.

Well it turns out that out of the box the SF lathe was just about as tall as the HF with 4½" of tubasixes under it. But looking at the pictures it looks like I might want to raise it just a little so the centers are about at elbow height.
Thanks for taking the effort to go out to the shop just for me, I know that was a struggle :)

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
does the SF have ajustable feet or threaded holes in the legs to mount some? cant tell from the pic but you may be able to mount bolts and nuts to get the extra few inches you tall boys need. pick up some krutch feet at the dollar store to keep things from sliding around. though I doubt that one will do much sliding!:gar-La; a nice set of casters may bring it up too and provide some mobility for cleaning [if you do that sort of thing.]

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Nice looking lathe!! :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Owner/potential Operator? so so!

:gar-La;

DaveO

New User
DaveO
does the SF have ajustable feet or threaded holes in the legs to mount some? cant tell from the pic but you may be able to mount bolts and nuts to get the extra few inches you tall boys need. pick up some krutch feet at the dollar store to keep things from sliding around. though I doubt that one will do much sliding!:gar-La; a nice set of casters may bring it up too and provide some mobility for cleaning [if you do that sort of thing.]

Yes it does, and I might use some leveling feet, or even bolt it down to the slab....once I decide that is where I would like it to be. Mobile :nah:, I've got the space for a dedicated lathe area.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Dave,

I'm glad I could lend a hand. ANYtime. :icon_thum That is such a great gesture and Matthew, I know you'll enjoy the HF lathe. Wish I could've made it over there sooner and met you and Earl. :BangHead: (and you too Jimmy) :icon_thum

What Dave didn't tell you was that he hooked a brother up with some bowl blanks. These are definitely enough to keep me busy for a while.

QS Sycamore. Can't wait to see some finish on these puppies. :eek:

tree_029.jpg

tree_030.jpg

After Dave's, I went to Klingspor and got a Persimmon bowl blank and some BLO. Can't wait to see what this thing "turns" out to be.

tree_033.jpg

Dave, thanks so much for everything that you do for the members of this site. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Now GO COVER THAT SHINY NEW LATHE WITH SAWDUST! :rotflm:

Cheers, :eek:ccasion1

Trent

PS: Got the discount at Klingspor after asking about it.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Looking good Dave:icon_thum Glad that you had a great day and got to see some fellow NCWWers:icon_thum

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Compliments your shop just perfectly, Dave!!!!:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Congratulations on getting it all set up. You must have been chompin' at the bit to see it out of the box.

A lot happenin' at the DaveO residence in one day!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Wayne

Touchwood

New User
Don
Dave,

Those QS Sycamore blanks that Trent showed (the matched pair) look suspiciously like the two I was going to use (but didn't) on the latest rocker headrest:wwink:.

Glad to see they've gone to a good place.

I was going to mention when you were at my shop that after I got my Delta lathe I read a book by Richard Raffan where he suggested having the lathe center no lower than your elbow..preferably 2 or 3 " above. When I built my shop I made a 4" thick plywood base lagged to the floor studs with the lathe bolted to that. It was much easier on my back than the bent over position I had been using in the garage.:wsmile:

You're a lot taller than me, and judging by the picture of you and your new toy..I'd mount that baby 4 or 5 "off the floor.

Just a suggestion...but I think you'll like it.:icon_thum.

Don

erasmussen

New User
RAS
I cant believe you posted a picture of my ugly mug:elvis:

It was a great day, I got to help mr audio pick up his lathe, and set it up :eusa_danc

And I got to see Dave O's stereo cabinet, man its a lot better up close the it looks in the pictures, A super job :icon_thum

Just a good day all around, wish we could have been there to meet jimmy and trent, maybe next time.

The hand off

DSC02622.JPG

HLW

Harold
User
DaveO,The Shop Fox lathe looks great and it looks like it has some good specs. Where can you buy them in N.C. ? I'm looking to upgrade from my Jet 1220 to a Nova or another Jet. Would you recommend this lathe and how does it compare with the other two I mentioned? Why did you choose the Shop Fox?Price looks good too. Decisions, decisions!:BangHead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS