A Year in the Making

Status
Not open for further replies.

TXnNC

New User
Ken
It is hard to believe, but a year ago this April 12th we moved in to our new house. And, a year ago this coming weekend we started working on the backyard. The backyard is 1/2 acre and when we moved in 1/4 acre was wooded. We called a couple of local companies and noone would deal with a lot that small. The best we could do was PAY someone $1200 to take it away. So, the wife and I started clearing land:

For those of you who have never experienced clearing land and burning logs in July/August in ENC....it is NOT FUN!

The next step is a fence. If I had known how much work privacy fencing 1/2 acre would be...I would have done chain link:

And, of course, the kids need a swingset:

shop_049.jpg

And the LOML needs a deck:

shop_072.jpg

Finally, the shop can begin:

housefeb08_009.jpg

shop_022.jpg

First wall:

shop_212.jpg

Four walls:

shop_229.jpg

shop_242.jpg

shop_252.jpg

shop_264.jpg

The shop is a 24x32. I actually have the Tyvex up and the roof is shingled. All windows and doors are in and I hope to start vinyl siding and running electric this weekend. I will update as we progress....

LOML and I are pretty happy considering we did all the work ourselves except pulling the stumps. The pics also don't show the 3 dump truck loads of dirt we had brought in that we spread and leveled. All in a years work..right???

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Brings back memories of my first home.......
Congratulations. I hope you & your family enjoy it for many years.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow, that's an awesome play set. Is it like 3 stories tall :eek::eek::eek: Y'all have really put a lot of work, effort and money into that lot. Soon you will be able to sit back and enjoy all your hard work and feel proud that you've done what you wanted. Major props to you.

Dave:)

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Playset, deck, workshop? Looks like guard tower, entertainment plaza and cabinet making shop to me! Outstanding work - and backbreaking too I expect.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
nice progress. my kids would have loved a playhouse like that. you have put a lot of work into that land. never ends does it?

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Wow, Ken! You and LOYL have been very busy...You should be proud of the fact that you two did all the work and saved a bunch of [STRIKE]toy[/STRIKE] tool money:rolf:!

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
Wow, you guys have been busy. My kids would love your lookout tower. Looks like it won't be long before you can spend some saturdays in the shop instead of working in the yard.

Glennbear

Glenn
I can empathize Ken, I moved to my semi-wooded property just about a year ago. The work goes on and on and on !! You definitely qualify for the perserverance award for 2007-2008 :icon_thum :wsmile:

jmauldin

New User
Jim
Well, as they say in this neck of the woods - "You did yourself proud!" (That's Mayberry talk).

Great job. I know you are really going to enjoy your shop.
Jim in Mayberry

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Oh how I remember the days of cutting and burning brush. Brings back memories. None of which were fond. Chiggers, briers, and all the other fun stuff like smelling like smoke, the works.

I would not be upset if I never did clearing again.

Playset is HUGE!!! All that fencing, deck, and a shop? Where are all the in progress pics?

Awesome job, but as others have said, it is never over.....

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Tremendous transformation!!!!!!!!!:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

After all of this fine construction you will deserve a 2 year hiatus to your new shop!

Oops. Landscaping job coming up?

Yourself and your LOYL should be very, very proud indeed. (Now don't go and sell that fine real estate before you have a chance to really enjoy the fruits of your labor!)

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS