A plywood and skate-wheel center rest

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
I've been meaning to make up a center rest for some time, as the commercially-made one's are for 6" center and up, and the Jet Mini is a 5" center height. It's shown here with a scrap test-piece, but will be used for end-boring bagpipe pieces, or supporting longer slender pieces, and for interior turning of deep, long pieces.

Cntr-Rest_front-dscf0858.jpg

The frame is birch ply, 12" OD and 8" ID, and the arms are 3/4" hardwood furniture scrap; the one arm with a wide slot is a "feature" :)nah:) which will be "dis-continued" in the near future. The wheels are from a pair of kid's inline skates purchased from Goodwill for $3.99. Three 6mm bolts and nuts for the wheels completes the non-standard hardware purchases.

Cntr-Rest_rear-dscf0859.jpg

After cutting out on the band-saw, I made a ring template and used it on the Router Table to smooth off the assembled and glued front and rear frame rims.

I had a piece of 1-3/4" aluminum 1/4" bar stock, which was the ideal size for the bed-clamp; I cut out a 1-1/4" piece near one end with a convenient center hole for the clamp-guide and the remaining end piece was right for the clamping bar. The two pieces were assembled with Loctite "Goof Proof X-tra time" Super Glue, and the center hole extended through the clamp-bar.

Cntr-Rest_clamp-dscf0865.jpg

I would note, that I have also seen other innovative designs than this traditional circular-ring rest.

regards, Johnpipe

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Looks better than the ones at the store in many ways! I sure would like to build one for my lathe too ... Did you have a plan, or did you just go with what looked right?

Nice job!:icon_thum

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Jeremy
I have the plan some where in the shop.
I will look for it today I think I also have some extra wheels and bearings I will check

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
Looks better than the ones at the store in many ways! I sure would like to build one for my lathe too ... Did you have a plan, or did you just go with what looked right?

Nice job!:icon_thum

I saw pix around the web of one's built by various folks, and drew up a very basic plan in autocad, after "guestimating" a size around the diameter of the wheels I had. I then laid out on a 12" x 12" piece with a square, pencil and pencil compass; I used the compass to divide the 120 degrees. The basic form is the same as the commercial ones, except for overall proportions. So, in the end, it was what looked right.

One thing, with only my imagination to go by, I figured out better ways of doing part of the construction after the fact, naturally :icon_scra . I had cut the 120 degree segments on the BS alone; it would have been a little better (higher precision) to cut them oversize where the rails go, then use a router and guides to trim the openings precisely. I do have a little slop there, but it's functional.

And, at some point, I'll have to order a set of new wheels with no worn bearings. I looked around on the web, and the skate wheels come in a few diameters, but the very smallest has a flat crown, and for most work one wants the curved crown wheels.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I've got a clamp accessory with a feature like that as well! I too have to fix that feature....

I like your jig as well. It appears to be quite sturdy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS