a new woodie in Charlotte, by way of New York

Status
Not open for further replies.

growing_tree

New User
Matt Breen
Greetings All,

This past summer I moved down to Charlotte after spending most of my life in the suburbs of NYC. Compared to the winters of the north-east, I'll gladly take these 60+ degree 'winter' days here. (While still enjoying the cooler mornings and evenings as well.)

I am collecting tools for my workshop, and have much still to learn. My only regret is not taking the time to learn more from my father when I had the oppourtunity to do so. Some of my earliest memories are of working with him on a pie-safe which my mother still has today.

I'm very glad to have been pointed to this wonderful site, which is quite a resource!

Matt

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Welcome!:eusa_clap No better site; no better info; no better people than you'll find here.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Matt, we're glad to have you here on the site and in the state. You'll find that things are generally better down here, not just the weather.
Dave:)

M

McRabbet

Welcome to the NCWW site -- we have lots of very good people here with a broad spectrum of experience. We do like pictures, so make sure you document your tools collecting and shop setup -- And don't hesitate to ask questions on any topic, it will be answered by someone here. Be sure to take advantage of our Links Library and Download Library for additional sources of information.

Rob

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site. There's a great bunch of folks here and you'll enjoy the knowledge sharing.

Dan C.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Hi Matt from Matthews!
Welcome to NC and NCWWer. Great state and great site :icon_thum

Enjoy,
Roger

Greybeard

New User
Pat
Welcome aboard, Matt! After 20+ years in NYS (Ft Drum), I totaly agree with you about the weather here in NC. You have found the best WW site on the web. Enjoy the site and the info you find on it. Any questions, just ask! Someone will have an answer for you!:)

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Gees, a lot of Dang Yankees, comin' out of the closet!!! :-D :-D :-D :-D

Welcome from another recent refugee.

Alan in Little Washington, formerly Alan in Alexandria (VA)
(born and raised in NJ)

dtomasch

New User
David
welcome.Enjoy the best ww site out there. Count ten on the way in, count ten on the way out....that's a good day:icon_thum

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
From another NY'er (but Fort Drum was more than 2 hours southwest) Welcome.

You should be aware that they have actually named communities down here for expat Yankees, consider CARY, also known as The Concentrated Area of Relocated Yankees:lol:

zimman20

New User
Rich Zimmerman
Welcome from a former Jersey guy. As others have said...more great about NC than just the weather. ;-)

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
Welcome fellow New Yorker. I came to the Carolinas from the Upstate region in the late 70's. Every once in a while I miss the lakes and the huge valleys, but not the cold weather. Figure out a way to make snow warm and I'll go back.

A few good places for tools you might check are http://Charlotte.Craigslist.org and www.HarborFreightTools.com (they have a store location on Independence Blvd.) HFT is not the quality of a WoodCraft or WoodWorkingShop store, but is cheap. I have a couple pieces of equipment that I found through the paper and local antique shows too. Everyone on this site is great f9r advice on where you might look for a particular machine or what brand/model is the best value.

Again, welcome to the site and region

David

MikeH

New User
Mike
Matt,
Welcome to NC Woodworker. I work in Matthews and live in Indian Trail. We should get together sometime.

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Welcome aboard Matt:icon_thum You will really like this site and all of it's fine members. Don't forget to set up a photo album as we all like to see pictures. :eusa_danc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS