Gary
Corporate Member
Honey dipper.
Wood001.jpg

Second pen. Purple dyed Maple
Wood005.jpg

Third pen. Spalted Pecan(from DaveO)
Wood007.jpg

4th pen turned tonight(a glue up from DaveO's "scrap pile") and small Cherry bowl turned from wood p/u in Ashville on w/e getaway.
Wood013.jpg

Wood014.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
4th pen turned tonight(a glue up from DaveO's "scrap pile") and small Cherry bowl turned from wood p/u in Ashville on w/e getaway.
Wood013.jpg

Wood014.jpg

Hey Gary, I am glad that you were able to utilize some of my cast offs.

If you're not careful that pen might give birth to a few more :eek:

Was that from the ill-fated box glue up we ripped down? It really has some spectacular grain :icon_thum:icon_thum

Dave:)

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Awesome work. Those honey dippers are fun easy little things to make. The pens look great. What did you dye the maple with?

Dave is that Lacewood in that pen?

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Thank you all.

Dave yes that is the same glue up, two of the blanks that were biased cut, I married them up and reversed them.

Kevin,
The honey dipper was actually very fun, but was turned for the LOML, she has a thing for honey, and has been wanting a dipper. The "dye" was a chemical reaction to a polish and a funky colored paper towel I was using, it looked cool so I sealed it and put a CA finish over it. Hope it stays.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
The "dye" was a chemical reaction to a polish and a funky colored paper towel I was using, it looked cool so I sealed it and put a CA finish over it. Hope it stays.

That is funny. I think it turned out good. Looks like some of the ones I have seen done with aninline dye.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Glue it straight and then cut it at an angle :icon_thum

Okay you just lost me. I thought I understood how to do that. Are you saying you laminate with the different colors then cut at an angle. Do you happen to have a picture of the blank before you cut it.

Nice pen.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Okay you just lost me. I thought I understood how to do that. Are you saying you laminate with the different colors then cut at an angle. Do you happen to have a picture of the blank before you cut it.

Nice pen.

:nah: that's the boring part. Yes, I just glued all these strips together just like you would do for a workbench top. Then I drew a line at the angle I wanted across the slab, which would mike the stripes end up angled. I free-handed the first cut following my line on the BS, and then set up the fence to cut the remaining strips until I ran out of pieces long enough for a pen blank. I now have a very nice laminated wedge door stopper from what's left :cool:

In the picture is posted I have just flipped the cut blanks for fun, if that is causing some confusion :dontknow:

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
nice work
see there are no 'mistakes' only design changes along the way.
sometimes they work out, sometimes they require additional work...

Rob

New User
Rob
Nice Dave, thanks. I can't cut a straight line on my band saw, I would probably use the table saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors