1st Chip Carving Attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Well I couldn't stand it having missed the last two carving sessions so I just broke down and bought a couple of flexcut knifes and gave it a whirl tonight. I bought a book on it but figured I would give it a shot before reading anything so I could do everything wrong and then read how to do it correctly. Needless to say my hands are going to be sore tomorrow. Thankfully I didn't draw any blood this time. :gar-Bi

Anyway. I really screwed up a few places especially towards the center of the piece. As I thought I did enjoy giving this a try and will keep going. Anyway here is a pic of the piece that I butchered.

Thanks for looking...

IMG_1118_Web.jpg

cskipper

Cathy
Good for you! Is that maple? Was it difficult???? Did you have the wood clamped to something? You did a great job.

Woodchuck

New User
Chuck
Kevin, I think that is a very good first try. I did a chip carved piece years ago and really enjoyed doing it. Read your books and give it a try. Let us see what you do next.

Chuck

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
I appreciate all the compliments. I did have a lot of fun and will continue on with it.

Cathy,

I honestly don't have a clue what kind of wood it is. We were walking through Michaels or Hobby Lobby one and I found this stuff in a multi pack. I wouldn't say it was difficult but it sure wasn't the easiest thing I have ever done before. I did not clamp it to anything I just used my hands to hold it on the workbench. I did try and clamp it but it didn't work out to well. It seems like a waste of time to clamp and turn clamp and turn so I just didn't clamp.. :gar-Bi

Scott,

Yes I did learn as I was going. I played with different angles and different cutting techniques as I was doing it. I did improve I was able to notice that. Towards the end my cuts start to be a little cleaner. I know once I start reading the book and practicing it will get better. Thanks for the link I will check that out today.

This was alot of fun and I can't wait to start on the next piece just have to decide what. My wife wants to learn as well so the knives may get stolen from me before to long. I have her busy with her stained glass right now. So I am probably safe for the time being.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Looks like you got a good start. I don't know if I would have the patience to do that.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
I didn't think I would either but I actually enjoyed it kind of relaxing except when I would screw up. :) Okay so maybe this one wasn't so relaxing. I can absolutely see the more intricate and bigger patterns doing little bits at a time and not trying a marathon carve session. Shoot I had to set this one down a few times for a few minutes.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Good start Kevin :icon_thum

Read the book. Chip carving is pretty specific in how you hold the knife to get repeatable angles (and avoid drawing blood). The most important thing a sharp knife. I have the flexcut and it needs some work to tune it up. Also, chipcarving is done holding the work in your lap. Having it on a bench puts your wrist at a bad angle (that may be why your hands are sore).

The place for info is:
http://www.chipcarving.com/

pete

nelsone

New User
Ed
Great start. I haven't tried the chip carving yet, but I can see where it would be a great skill to learn. I can see the improvement in the piece you were playing with. As with everything, practice makes perfect!

Keep up the effort and the next carving gathering we'll let you teach us a thing or two!!!

I'm really enjoying seeing the carving interest picking up here!

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Great start. I haven't tried the chip carving yet, but I can see where it would be a great skill to learn. I can see the improvement in the piece you were playing with. As with everything, practice makes perfect!

Keep up the effort and the next carving gathering we'll let you teach us a thing or two!!!

I'm really enjoying seeing the carving interest picking up here!

Yeah don't know about teaching just yet.:gar-Bi Eventually yes. I have always had an interest in this and Relief and Caricature carving but never felt I had the talent or skills to do something like these. I have however decided no to be afraid of trying different things and am diving into all the things I have always wanted to try.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Okay one thing I learned is the wood above is not the wood for carving. I finally used some of the basswood I bought last night and had a much easier time with it than I did with this wood. I did find out they are glued up. :) I was trying a heat transfer and the glue got hot enough that the seam seperated. Oh well you live you learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS