Search results

1. F

Vertical mill in Charlotte area?

Does anyone in the Charlotte area have a vertical mill that would be willing to cut two 1/4"x4" slots into two pieces of aluminum channel? Happy to pay for your time; it should be pretty quick. Feel free to move if there's a better forum for this. It's for a slab flattening jig I'm making, so...
  2. F

FS: Delta 10" Random Orbit Benchtop Sander

This is a unique one that I used for lapping the ends of cast acrylic tubes prior to gluing for a product I used to make. It's good for running long flat pieces. Needs a new home and I need the shelf space back. Table needs a little love as you can see here. $20. OBO. Located in East Charlotte.
  3. F

FS: Festool 204040 Replacement T-LOC Hose Garage (Hood) for CT 26/36/48 Dust Extractor

I wound up with two of these when I had to replace my broken one. Note: they don't work well as a seat. New in box. This is the "new and improved model" that came out in 2018. $30 seem fair? Located in East Charlotte.
  4. F

HVLP Questions

After doing my research, I'm considering getting a Fuji Mini Mite 3 for my projects. I was looking at the Sprayport 6003, but now I think I've talked myself into the Fuji. I'm coming from using a Devilbiss siphon gun and another smaller touch-up gun, so I've had to use a high-pressure and flow...
  5. F

Need someone with a spray booth in Charlotte area

Strange request, but I'm looking for someone in Charlotte who's set up to shoot nitro or pre-cat lacquer. I have a flat sheet of ply that's about 3'x4' that needs to get finished. Since changing jobs, I've had to shut down all of my woodworking, and have no space to do this in my house. I'll...
  6. F

Looking for a rollable clear finish

I'm sure this sounds quite strange, but I need a simple, quick-drying finish that I can apply to what is effectively a retail display. I've got a lot of wood panels that need to be coated out quickly. I really don't want to spray lacquer in this weather, and a matte, textured finish from a...
  7. F

Looking at air compressor recommendations

I think I may be in the market for a new compressor. Being a home hobbyist, I don't have the ability to have a 220V model. But, I'm spraying finishes with a Devilbis HPLV gun. It's been running okay on a Craftsman 30G compressor, but I think I finally killed it. CFM rating on this gun is...
  8. F

Finishing woes

I'm in the process of finishing a commission piece at the moment. I sprayed samples, got it approved, client's all happy with that. It's a set of three pieces made out of lacewood veneer and walnut. Sprayed the piece with Amazing Stain dye from ML Campbell that I had custom-mixed for this...
  9. F

Preferences between barrel-handle and D-handle jigsaws?

I've always preferred barrel-handle jigsaws over D-handles, but I thought I'd see what others preferred. The advantage of the D-handle is being able to control speed via the trigger, but I always feel like my hand is too far from the body of the tool to have great control. Barrel handles...
  10. F

Gloss white finish: lacquer or paint?

I've got a piece I'm working on that the client wants in gloss white when finished. I'm building it frame and panel style out of birch and poplar. I'll be spraying the finish. Should I go with a white pre-cat lacquer, or oil-base paint? And does any sort of sanding sealer help in this...
  11. F

Looking for 10/4+ red oak in Charlotte

Need to make some bedposts for kid's beds to match the rest of the furniture. I can glue-up, but I figured it would be easier to just make some 2-1/4 x 2-1/4 posts. Anyone have anything? Need 10 pieces 42" long when finished.
  12. F

Festool Rotex RO90 or RO125?

Okay, so I've budgeted for a CT26 dust collector, TS55 plunge saw and a sander in a project I'm doing. I'm torn between the RO90 and the RO125 sanders. The 125 is $50 more, but uses 5" pads instead of 3.5". However, the RO90 now has a detail sander attachment and another sanding mode...
  13. F

Looking for a a wood selection to complement lacewood veneer work

Working on a commission piece for someone who wants the panels veneered with lacewood. I don't want to do the edges of the top or any of the trim in lacewood as it would be way too much, so I'm looking for a combination to match well. Final finish will be dark, if not ebonized, so long as...
  14. F

Looking for some direction / suggestions on this project

I've been asked to build this for someone. I'm sort of stuck on the general design at this point. The front panels are curved so it has to be a formed piece, and it has to be very load-bearing. I'm planning on the entire project being panels of vacuum pressed veneer work, but they aren't...
  15. F

Preferred glue to assemble bed with lots of spindles?

I'm going to need something with a long open time, as I've got a 98 glue joints to assemble at one time, unless I try to do this up in pieces. I've got a feeling that might be the way I head, but I'll need to make some assembly jigs to do that to keep everything square. This is for a...
  16. F

Veritas medium or large shoulder plane?

Except for cleaning dadoes, what advantage would the medium have? I would assume I could do even more with the large than I could with the medium, and it does seem to look like it fits the hand better than the medium. For the most part, I see myself using it to clean tenon cheeks and...
  17. F

What is in "Watco Teak Oil"?

Does anyone know which oil is used as the base for Watco's Teak Oil product? And how does this product differ from their other Danish oil products?
  18. F

Grain / pore filler for jatoba?

What's the vote on using a filler on jatoba / brazilian cherry? I'm starting to figure out the finishing schedule for this project, and I can't decide how I want to finish it at the moment, but an application of danish oil on a scrap tonight made me realize how open the grain is.
  19. F

final waxing of arm-r-seal

This project has cured for a couple of months now, and tonight I went to wax it with 0000 steel wool and a clean piece of cotton. It didn't work at all. The wax just dried to a hard sticky mess before I could buff it. I wound up cleaning it off with mineral spirits, but now I've got the...
  20. F

Curly maple toy chest finished

Finished this two days before Christmas. Frame and panel construction built from maple plywood and curly maple. Legs are hard maple from Kyle. Top and bottom are 1/2" ply, sides are 1/4" MDF core ply. Top frame is attached with plywood splines in the edge of the 1/2" ply...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS