HVLP Questions

fergy

New User
Fergy
After doing my research, I'm considering getting a Fuji Mini Mite 3 for my projects. I was looking at the Sprayport 6003, but now I think I've talked myself into the Fuji. I'm coming from using a Devilbiss siphon gun and another smaller touch-up gun, so I've had to use a high-pressure and flow system in the past, but always been plagued with moisture issues no matter what and no longer have a large compressor, so having a turbine system seems like it would fit all of my portability and storage needs. I plan to spray pre-cat, shellac, and have in the past been known to shoot varnish when I felt like being sticky for a week.

I would assume that moisture and humidity are less of an issue in turbine guns systems because the pressure differential is much lower both at the gun and along the path of flow? Even with moisture traps I fight it here in the south. Would love to have less struggle there but am hoping I am interpreting this correctly. I learned on a pressure pot setup in a different climate, and never had to struggle as much.

Also appears that the Fuji guns need to be a little closer to the material than I'm used to; I assume this is due to lower pressure at the gun?

Having always used siphon guns / pressure pots, I'm not sure of the pros/cons of those versus gravity fed versions. Is cleanup that much easier in the Fuji gravity versions? Is it a hassle or spill risk to shoot horizontal surfaces or get inside tight spaces? The siphon tube on my gun angles to the front of the cup, so I can tip horizontal but I can see that being riskier with the gravity gun. But it also seems that needing to pressurize the cup on the siphon gun adds one more risk.

Any thoughts and input would be helpful before I drop this sort of cash for a new system that I hope will meet my needs for a lot of years. Thanks!

gamiller3rd

Pappy
Senior User
If you kind find the Sep/Oct 2014 issue of FWW they did a pretty good review on HVLP systems including Fuji. I’m considering that unit as well. If you get one please give us some follow up on how you like it.

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
I have a Fuji system and sprayed lots of horizontal surfaces with the gravity feed gun. Same with getting inside cabinets. Note that I had never sprayed anything before getting this unit so cannot compare others, but if a complete novice can spray paints and pre-cat without any real issues I expect anyone else can as well.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I have the exact unit youre looking at. I have the gravity fed gun and the quart gun. The only bad thing Ive noticed with mine is the quart gun leaks around the cup seal. Other than that, as a novice sprayer, it works flawlessly, you can easily adjust the atomization and spray pattern on the fly and adjust to changing conditions, (inside and outside of a cabinet for instance, getting into corners). I highly recommend it!

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I also have a Fuji mini-mite 3 and like it. I have the siphon feed quart gun. It sometimes leaks at the cup seal but if I detach and reattach it usually solves it. If not, I have to clean the gasket (or change it). I have mostly sprayed Resisthane, a water borne pre-cat lacquer with it. I find it easy to use and have had no issues I could blame on moisture in the air out of the turbine. If I get it set reasonably well, it sprays well. I find making initial adjustments on water to work pretty well. I have a spare cup so normally I just spray some water through the gun between coats and leave the finish in the other cup with a slip on lid. It makes putting on three coats in a day pretty easy. I never spray in a humidity controlled environment. Either a garage or outside.

fergy

New User
Fergy
If you kind find the Sep/Oct 2014 issue of FWW they did a pretty good review on HVLP systems including Fuji. I’m considering that unit as well. If you get one please give us some follow up on how you like it.

That is what led me down the path, but it's also 6 years old so some of the specs are old, and things have changed a bit. But I have read that as well as a lot of others. I've almost exhausted Google search terms at this point, so wanted to talk with some who have actually held these.

I also have a Fuji mini-mite 3 and like it. I have the siphon feed quart gun. It sometimes leaks at the cup seal but if I detach and reattach it usually solves it. If not, I have to clean the gasket (or change it). I have mostly sprayed Resisthane, a water borne pre-cat lacquer with it. I find it easy to use and have had no issues I could blame on moisture in the air out of the turbine. If I get it set reasonably well, it sprays well. I find making initial adjustments on water to work pretty well. I have a spare cup so normally I just spray some water through the gun between coats and leave the finish in the other cup with a slip on lid. It makes putting on three coats in a day pretty easy. I never spray in a humidity controlled environment. Either a garage or outside.

Ah, so two votes on the quart cup leaking air sometimes. Since my Devilbiss isn't pressurized, I never thought about that issue.

Note that my goal is NOT to use water-borne finishes. I still don't like them, but I'm old fashioned and have a respirator. How has cleaning been on these? It's usually just been a case of running some clean thinner or ethanol through the gun, then swishing some more around in the cup, and calling it done. I only follow the long list of steps at the end of the project. Are you okay leaving finish in these guns in between coats, even if it takes a couple of days? That's always been fine in this one as it seals airtight (if I close the air vent on the cup) in between coats. Between coats, I could just stick the siphon tube in a cup of solvent and flush the tube and tip. I could see that being an issue with these.

Has anyone tried the GXPC gun they are offering, with the swivel cup on the side? I am wondering if it would be uncomfortable as it would twist the wrist.

I have the exact unit youre looking at. I have the gravity fed gun and the quart gun. The only bad thing Ive noticed with mine is the quart gun leaks around the cup seal. Other than that, as a novice sprayer, it works flawlessly, you can easily adjust the atomization and spray pattern on the fly and adjust to changing conditions, (inside and outside of a cabinet for instance, getting into corners). I highly recommend it!

Since you have both, what makes your decision as to which gun to use when you start finishing?

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
If Im doing something large, I use the quart gun. but I do like the size of the gravity feed gun getting into cramped spaces if need be. Another thing to note, when I first bought mine, I had a problem with the needle seat (so I thought initially, turns out it was operator error :rolleyes:) but Fuji sent me a new one overnight!!!. To me, that service was huge!.

fergy

New User
Fergy
If Im doing something large, I use the quart gun. but I do like the size of the gravity feed gun getting into cramped spaces if need be. Another thing to note, when I first bought mine, I had a problem with the needle seat (so I thought initially, turns out it was operator error :rolleyes:) but Fuji sent me a new one overnight!!!. To me, that service was huge!.
That's apparently a common sentiment, which is another reason I'm leaning this direction.

These are non-bleeder guns, but are they dual-action triggers? With my current guns, air flow starts with half trigger pull, so you start your air flowing and then engage the fluid by pulling the rest of the way. I'm not seeing notes about this with these guns.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Why not use the Fuji Mini-Mite 3 with the siphon feed cup instead of the gravity feed?

Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 9.46.36 AM.png

fergy

New User
Fergy
Why not use the Fuji Mini-Mite 3 with the siphon feed cup instead of the gravity feed?

I'm debating between all of them, but wondering the pros/cons of the three guns that they offer. Having only used a siphon cup on a conventional HP gun in the past, I'm soliciting opinions from other users to see if I was missing something in my analysis. For instance, it sounds slightly like the gravity cup is easier to clean than the siphon cup.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
For instance, it sounds slightly like the gravity cup is easier to clean than the siphon cup.

I have an Earlex HVLP and the gun is a siphon feed and it's easy to clean. Flush the entire gun with some solvent and spray it out 2x to rinse it thoroughly.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
The guns are dual action and you wouldnt be sorry with either one. One just has a much larger capacity than the other. Both are simple to clean as well.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I have the Sprayport 6002 w/siphon cup and have zero complaints. I was going with the Fuji but Highland woodworking had them for $299 and I couldn't resist. I would buy it again in a second....

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I've had a Fuji Q-3 for a while now. When I first bought it the turbine out put was plastic. When I called them They replace the plastic with metal and included a pile of goodies (gun gaskets, siphon tube filters, etc.) The new turbine out put fixture turn my turbine into a bleeder. Their customer service is great. I have 2 guns a standard and a small cup version. Both are siphon guns. I just don't care for the cup on top style. Fuji products are well made. I only spray 2 pound cut dewaxed shellac (Zinsser SealCoat) I brush my poly. For cleaning I just blow alcohol through the gun and clean the cup. Before reusing the gun I blow a little more alcohol through the system and I'm good to go.

Pop

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
I have conventional ( Sprayit) and the Earlex Sprayport 6003. Love them both. Earlex does better with Paint because you have to thin less

fergy

New User
Fergy
Thanks for the info, guys. I was honestly surprised how many people use these for paint. It never even factored into my decision making. I've only had to do one piece in gloss white, but I used a gloss white lacquer over Magna Claw for that project. Turned out great, but that was tedious and unforgiving.

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
After doing my research, I'm considering getting a Fuji Mini Mite 3 for my projects. I was looking at the Sprayport 6003, but now I think I've talked myself into the Fuji. I'm coming from using a Devilbiss siphon gun and another smaller touch-up gun, so I've had to use a high-pressure and flow system in the past, but always been plagued with moisture issues no matter what and no longer have a large compressor, so having a turbine system seems like it would fit all of my portability and storage needs. I plan to spray pre-cat, shellac, and have in the past been known to shoot varnish when I felt like being sticky for a week.

I would assume that moisture and humidity are less of an issue in turbine guns systems because the pressure differential is much lower both at the gun and along the path of flow? Even with moisture traps I fight it here in the south. Would love to have less struggle there but am hoping I am interpreting this correctly. I learned on a pressure pot setup in a different climate, and never had to struggle as much.

Also appears that the Fuji guns need to be a little closer to the material than I'm used to; I assume this is due to lower pressure at the gun?

Having always used siphon guns / pressure pots, I'm not sure of the pros/cons of those versus gravity fed versions. Is cleanup that much easier in the Fuji gravity versions? Is it a hassle or spill risk to shoot horizontal surfaces or get inside tight spaces? The siphon tube on my gun angles to the front of the cup, so I can tip horizontal but I can see that being riskier with the gravity gun. But it also seems that needing to pressurize the cup on the siphon gun adds one more risk.

Any thoughts and input would be helpful before I drop this sort of cash for a new system that I hope will meet my needs for a lot of years. Thanks!
I opted for a Fuji Spray Mini-Mite 3 several years ago. I ended up with the gravity feed gun option but can see pros and cons for both gravity and siphon feed. The optional whip hose is a must-have accessory. They should include it with the system, but I suppose that they want to keep the base price point lower. I have sprayed only waterborne coatings. I have had success with General Finishes Milk Paint, which is faux milk paint, but sprays well and looks good. The only top coats I’ve sprayed are General Finishes Enduro-Var and Target Coatings EMTECH EM6000 Production Lacquer. Both worked well. The Target product laid smoother for me. Bear in mind though that I’m as far from an HVLP finishing expert as one can get. I am preparing to try General Finishes Exterior 450 for some weather-worn rocking chairs. I’m happy with the Fuji system. If mine grew legs and walked away, I’d just get another one.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS