Looking for 10/4+ red oak in Charlotte

Status
Not open for further replies.

fergy

New User
Fergy
Need to make some bedposts for kid's beds to match the rest of the furniture. I can glue-up, but I figured it would be easier to just make some 2-1/4 x 2-1/4 posts. Anyone have anything? Need 10 pieces 42" long when finished.

cheryllewis

New User
cheryl
Need to make some bedposts for kid's beds to match the rest of the furniture. I can glue-up, but I figured it would be easier to just make some 2-1/4 x 2-1/4 posts. Anyone have anything? Need 10 pieces 42" long when finished.

We've probably got some 12/4 at The Hardwood Store of NC, Inc. that would be suitable.

fergy

New User
Fergy
Thanks for the reply, Cheryl. I need to make a trip up there. I called a while back about bubinga but haven't had a moment to make it up there yet.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
FYI - any oak (red or white) over 6/4 thick is known in the industry as "Heavy Oak". Expect to pay for it, not so much because it hard to saw or handle... but because it takes forever and a day to dry and is subject to a much great precentage of drying defect (like checking) during the drying cycle, than 4 ~ 6/4 is. Depending on how thick it's cut, some heavy oak will never get to 6 ~ 10% moisture content in the middle of the board, 6 ~10% is suitable for indoor use - 8% is ideal for oak.

You can read more about heavy oak from the USFS in this 1978 publication ---> http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fputr/fputr8.pdf

Thanks

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Check with Kyle in Iron Station or bluthart, both on here. Rick DiNardo at the Woodworking Source also may have it in stock. :wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS