Looking for some direction / suggestions on this project

Status
Not open for further replies.

fergy

New User
Fergy
I've been asked to build this for someone. I'm sort of stuck on the general design at this point. The front panels are curved so it has to be a formed piece, and it has to be very load-bearing. I'm planning on the entire project being panels of vacuum pressed veneer work, but they aren't giving me any direction on woods or finishes. Their house is a mis-match of pseudo high-end woodwork trim. I've seen at least three different species of wood in what is meant to look like oak frame and panel work. I could really go off on the carpenters who fitted out a high-end house in a country club this way, but I'll refrain. Suffice it to say that it's moulding glued over plywood and finished in place. And it doesn't look good.

The doors will be overlay. I don't think I want to make them frame and panel, mainly due to the curve required for the rails. I could curve the face of the stiles to match the curve of the door panel itself, but it seems like a lot of work. They wanted inset doors, but I really don't think it's a good idea on a curved panel like this in case of spring-back. The face panels are held in place, but not the doors. My plan is for both to be 3/4" in the end, consisting of multiple layers of thin ply vacuum pressed with veneer on both faces.

For finishing, they can't decide on the finish they want. The wife showed me her painted kitchen cabinets that were dry-brushed. Personally, they look horrible, but if they want it painted, I'll spray and polish it. I think I'll walk away from the project if they want it dry-brushed. I know the final topcoat will be pre-cat lacquer sprayed on.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. It's sort of looking like RTA furniture at the moment, but a lot of that is the haste with which I modeled this. I didn't create a lot of moulding profiles, nor did I do a special profile to the edges of the top surface. I really wanted to do the panels with a burl or ribbon veneer, but I don't think they're going for it.

RichTank.jpg

Randall Kepley

New User
Randall
Fergy, are they leaving 90% of the choices to you? Or are they looking for suggestions? Im w/ you on the dry brushing. :no: When its done properly it can look pretty good but there in lies the trouble the vast majority including myself cant make it look like it should. If your going w/ veneer, I would lay all of my curved areas up w/ MDF and probably everything else out of Natural wood or what I call presentation grade plywood to save on some of the weight. R.K.

fergy

New User
Fergy
I'm not worried about the weight of it, and the curved areas have to be load-bearing. The other thing you see in that rendering is that this is an aquarium stand, so humidity is an issue. I'm afraid MDF will self-destruct in a year no matter how good it's sealed.

This thing will need to support over 200#/sq ft, all transferred to the walls of the cabinet. Final project weight will be around 2500#. The cabinet top will be double 3/4" ply laminated with Unibond in a vacuum bag. Everything will wind up being roughly 3/4" walls, with load-bearing framework in the corners and panel intersections. What appears as vertical moulding would be matched to internal vertical posting as well.

THe funny thing is I have no issues designing the structure and load-bearing side of it; it's the artistic aesthestics that kill me.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
I really like the basic design! It's not clear to me what you want suggestions on...

bobby g

fergy

New User
Fergy
To me it just sort of looks like a piece of Ready-To-Assemble furniture. I'm looking for suggestions on some of the overall layout and moulding profiles, or even the woods to use. I'm getting no real direction from them, but the rest of their decor is oak.

In my mind, I would go with a darker trim and hardwood and a lighter colored, figured veneer for the panels.

Do I attempt to trim out the doors or leave them as plain panels?

fergy

New User
Fergy
Ack, that sounds like a lot of work for the rails and stiles. I'm also concerned that without a shaper, I'd have a heck of a time milling them. I'm also pushing away from the idea of raised panels on this, because it's not going to look right on the face of this. It also doesn't match the style of the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS