Search results

1. D

any experience with Barr tools?

Just got through looking at Curtis Buchanan's videos on his website of how he makes his chairs. I've not ever made a chair and the only time I've gotten anywhere close to that level of tools was meeting Roy Underhill in Atlanta 2 or 3 years ago and trying his pole lathe. But I am interested in...
  2. D

Japanese hand planes

I have a few, two new ones and three used ones. I have endeavored to learn to set these up, but this has only been done for two of them, one of my newer ones, a 60mm Ishishisa from Hida Tools, and one I got off Ebay, also a 60mm. After setting them up and sharpening them, I found that I don't...
  3. D

how to ...?

Am looking to make a table similar to this one http://sethrolland.com/gallery/tables/sunburst.html Wondering two things: a) how is the top attached to the legs, or rather what would be a good way to do so? b) in a sunburst pattern like that, do the ends of the boards split out over time...
  4. D

"another one bites the dust"

Took a pen turning class yesterday. First time I've touched a lathe in 30 years. I can certainly see where the top of the slope begins, and recognize that the slope is steep and endless. Should've paid more attention to the warnings. Even the instructor warned "I am not responsible for any...
  5. D

chair makers?

Wondering how many of you have made chairs similar to John Alexander, Brian Boggs, etc? How did you get started? How long does the process take? Did you make your own shave horse? etc etc etc.
  6. D

edge joining ...

Update: Also you can't get a sprung joint with a shooting board. According to Toshio Odate, the Japanese have been using planing beams with a 2 x 2 nailed on the side for the ramp for a plane. I don't see any reason that could not be adapted to a western plane. David Charlesworth shows...
  7. D

edge joining ...

with a hand plane, I stink at it. I had so much fun finally getting some hand planes out and making shavings the last few days. I live in an apartment so don't have a workshop, I borrowed a friend's garage to work in. My "workbench" is a 12 x 12 I got off a construction site they had put in a...
  8. D

Maloof style?

Just wondering if any of you have built Maloof style (inspired) rockers or his dining chairs? Did you use the Charles Brock information? Or straight from Maloof? (pics please) Have been curious about one thing. Judging from videos I've seen of him, Maloof uses primarily power tools to...
  9. D

hand held planer

Good information. Thank you all.
  10. D

Gloat? or have I lost my mind?

or maybe Haagen Daz
  11. D

hand held planer

How accurate are these hand held electric planers? I've seen carpenters use them to trim doors to fit, usually after cutting with a circular saw. But I was just wondering if they have ever been used to planes edge joints for butt joining?
  12. D

prefinished floor

I have a pre-finished hickory floor that I need some help with. I'm having a little trouble in a hall that has five doorways. The floor was started with the doorway from the main room, using a threshold (of sorts, simply a single piece of flooring running perpendicular to the hall flooring...
  13. D

basics of finishing

Thaks to all for the replies. Here's to new things to learn in the new year.
  14. D

basics of finishing

I am afraid I do not understand the basics of finishing wood. Can someone, or everyone help, please? I understand that finsihes will be difference if staining, or coloring in some way. What I'd like to understand is the basic theory, seal, color, finish? What is the reason for sealer and...
  15. D

really worth it?

thank you all for the help
  16. D

really worth it?

To have a Lie Nielsen or other of the expensive hand made dovetail saws? Is there really that much difference? Ranging from $100- to $250 (for the new Cosman saw) there are many choices.
  17. D

thickness planer

thank you all for the help
  18. D

thickness planer

ooops, actually it's only a thickness planer
  19. D

thickness planer

If I wanted to laminate several thin boards together, different color species, to make a design as they are shaped later, would a thickness planer be sufficient to mill them and glue up? Or do most still use a hand plane to take out any marks from the machine? If it makes any difference, it...
  20. D

planing bench

thank you for the help

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS