Maloof style?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daver828

New User
David
Just wondering if any of you have built Maloof style (inspired) rockers or his dining chairs? Did you use the Charles Brock information? Or straight from Maloof? (pics please)

Have been curious about one thing. Judging from videos I've seen of him, Maloof uses primarily power tools to make his rockers, though he does seem to use alot of rasps as well. Was wondering about the people who use primarily hand tools, shaving horses for instance, why these couldn't be used to shape the arms, etc. Is that just too much work?

I've got an itch to build one of these chairs, but don't have the wood or the power tools at this point to even begin. Just thinking and gathering information for now.

David

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
David,

A few of our members have made them. Here is a thread about one in particular. Hopefully Mike (Shamrock) or Jeremy (Woodwrangler) will chime in shortly. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Shamrock

New User
Michael
David,

The Brock Plans ore OK but not really totally Maloof in nature. (his ideas are a mixture of Hal Taylor
http://www.rockingchairs.net/ and Maloof) Taylor's video is way better than Brock's. Now if you really want to learn how to build in the Maloof style this is the info you want:

http://www.finewoodworker.com/

This guy is awesome and his rockers are more true to form.

Or you could just watch this:

http://www.woodworkingchannel.com/dolphin/vidego_video_library.php

and learn how the master himself approaches it.

John Richards also from time to time offers a class (the one me, Woodwrangler, and cyclopentadiene took) so you could contact him and see what his plans are for any future classes.

Good luck, they are alot of work but very satisfying to build

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I agree with Shamrock. I built a rocker with Shamrock and Woodwrangler via the JSR Woodworking school.

I purchased the Brock plans and have a rocker using these plans almost completed.
Some items were OK with the Brock plans, some seem awkward. I have made modifications to the plans and implemented some of the things I learned from the JSR class.. The jointery at the seat for the Brock plan is similar to the Hal Taylor plan. The spindles are more traditional Maloof. The book and DVD lack significant detail. I would hate to build a rocker using these plans if I had not built one previously. Just my opinion but the music in the DVD is extremely annoying!

The Hal Taylor plans have significantly more detail and I would recommend these. The Brock plans can server as a supplement.

Woodcraft has now started carrying the Scott Morrison plans. Has anyone out there purchased these? I would be interested in feedback. I really like the lines on the bar stool plan.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Dino down in Myrtle Beach built a gorgeous rocker a few years back. I have a picture somewhere, I'll look. Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS