Search results

1. JRD

Walnut and White Oak Vase 2019-04-16

2012 Calendar Entry
  2. JRD

Best Glue for Cutting Boards

I've been able to get a hold of some outstanding Maple boards that I'd like to use to whip up some last minute cutting boards as presents. Considering a cutting board may be subject to water and moisture, what glues have you used? I'm thinking along the lines of Titebond 3. Thanks, Jim
  3. JRD

Too Small?

I'm looking for any and all tips to help in the installation of a new band saw tire. The top tire on my Delta 145 inch saw needs replacement, so I purchased one from Poly Belt but it sure looks mighty small. I realise it needs to be put into near boiling water to aid in installation, but how...
  4. JRD

Why not come to the picnic

Sorry, It's an event that in the past I lived for. Now that I work in retail, weekends no longer exist.
  5. JRD

Latest Turning

Stunning......I am in awe!
  6. JRD

For Larger Minds than Mine

Just started wondering and no one I've asked in conversation has been able to provide a good answer. Thus, I toss it out to larger minds than mine. Why are treated 4x4's that off green color, when treated decking boards are not? I assume the same non-arsenic based treatment is used, or if not...
  7. JRD

How to save this bowl blank?

In the past, I've used old coffee grounds and CA as a filler. It leaves a natural looking, dark line in the crack.
  8. JRD

Hints for Bar Top - Epoxy Resin Finish

I've used these epoxy finishes for another use, as a waterproof liner inside turned vases and also on the tops of several boxes. The one big thing I can contribute is to make sure you can keep dust off the project during the cure time. Cure generally takes a day or two and there is nothing...
  9. JRD

Dish vs Cable opines

Usually I don't have a whole lot to say but when it comes to TWC, that's another story. I finally had enough two months ago and cut the cable! Know what? I don't miss it at all because almost everything I want I can get off the net. Think it through. I had about 70 channels available but...
  10. JRD

Small Hard Drive

Call me cheap, I prefer frugal. I am reworking a Dell Dimension 4700 for my neice and am in need of replacement SATA hard drive. I'm finding plenty available but all are far too large for what is needed. Does anyone know of a source for smaller drives (80 to 120 GB capacity). I can't see...
  11. JRD

Switch Went Out on Table Saw

Barbara, The switch on my table saw failed last week as well. For a couple of weeks I'd had a similar problem, where wiggling the switch would eventually get the saw to running. I simply removed the switch and applied a liberal spray of carburator cleaner into every hole, nook, and cranny...
  12. Keepsake Pistol Box

Keepsake Pistol Box

A box of Teak, with Elm burl top, and Cork liner. This was specifically made to house a pistol that had belonged to my grandfather. After making this box, I presented it to my oldest son as it's latest caretaker.
  13. JRD

NCWW 2013 Calendar Contest

Two questions pertaining to the contest. I have a pistol box created to hold a keepsake from my grandfather. Is it ok to use two photo's combined to show the exterior on one half of the entry, the interior beside it on the other half of the entered photo? Both are impressive and to show one...
  14. Cayo Chair

Cayo Chair

While on vacation in Belize I noticed these beach chairs everywhere and wanted to try my hand at one. No plans, just photos to go from complicated the process but the finished product came out just fine. They look uncomfortable but the look is deceiving.
  15. JRD

Is Magnolia wood workable for furniture?

I would assume so. Several years ago I used Magnolia in several turnings and for a few pens as well. It's seems to be reasonably strong, the grain is not really outstanding. Jim
  16. JRD

This should keep me busy for a while!

DNA is available at any of the Big Box stores. I usually pour it into a lidded plastic bucket, using the bucket for both soaking a roughed out piece as well as storage for the DNA until I need it again.
  17. JRD

This should keep me busy for a while!

Why wait a year? I've had very good results after rough turning with DNA drying. Soak a blank in DNA for a day, let it air dry, then wrap in a paper bag with the interior of the bowl exposed to the environment. Sit it upside down on a wire rack so air can get to the interior surfaces. After...
  18. JRD

Completely New To Woodworking

Welcome, Your satisfaction here is just about guaranteed. Jim
  19. JRD

curing sycamore

Do a Google search for drying wood with denatured alcohol. It works very well in reducing drying times and in reducing checking significantly. Jim
  20. JRD

curing sycamore

I've turned it before and was very pleased with the result. I would however, rough turn your bowls, or whatever, and then give those pieces the DNA bath. Rarely do I have a problem with anything treated that way.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors