Why not come to the picnic

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
We are just over a week from the NCWW annual meeting and picnic. To date the sign ups are far below what we had expected. It is a free event. It is a great way to meet face to face the folks you meet online. There are a host of free give a ways. There will be demos. It has the making of a perfect day. So here is a question for those who have not signed up. Please tell us why? This question not meant to pick on or embarrass anyone. It is so we the BoD know what we need to do better. If you would prefer, you can PM Phil S, DRW, or myself with your responses.

redknife

New User
Chris
We unfortunately have a wedding in DC to attend same day. Would very much like to have attended.

StephenK

New User
Stephen
Excellent question. I'm going to answer as candidly as possible.

I would like to attend, but my wife has no intrest. We have three year old twins, and I really have no intrest in bringing them along - especially for a 2 hour round trip car ride. Asking her to watch the kids while I run off to a picnic will be met with a not so nice stink eye.. I can sell her on a workshop here and there - and if I'm lucky, a day at the Woodwright's School. I'm choosing my battles and saving up time for the WIA in Winston this fall!

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I believe this is the best woodworking community in the world. Nothing needs to be done better.

I have an important bike (cycling) race on the calendar that day, needed for qualification.

Scanning through the threads, I don't see what time folks are getting together, assume around noon? What time will it end, or will folks start going home?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I believe this is the best woodworking community in the world. Nothing needs to be done better.

I have an important bike (cycling) race on the calendar that day, needed for qualification.

Scanning through the threads, I don't see what time folks are getting together, assume around noon? What time will it end, or will folks start going home?

Folk will be arriving around 10:00 for the swap table, demos, setup, etc. Lunch will be at around noon. Following lunch and in no order, we will have our annual meeting (10-15 minutes), door prizes will be given out, raffle prizes, cleanup, etc. I would expect folks will be there until at least 2:00-2:30.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
My wife has no interest in woodworking at all except to the extent that I can make things for her and it keeps me from being underfoot in our retirement. She has no interest in going to a picnic and hanging around a bunch of people talking woodworking. I have no interest in attending a picnic without her. That's pretty much the short of it.

It works out ok since there are some things she does that I have less than zero interest in too and she doesn't drag me along :wsmile:.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I mostly wanted to be sure I wasn't expected to bring something, because I haven't planned anything.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I mostly wanted to be sure I wasn't expected to bring something, because I haven't planned anything.

Mike, we'd love to have you oversee one of your famous contests. No need for you to provide prizes, we could use some of the door prizes for this. If you are inclined, let us know. Otherwise we'll try to dream up something else.

aplpickr

New User
Bill
Five hours to drive to get there, and five hours back. I WOULD NOT HAVE TIME TO EAT ALL THE WONDERFUL FOOD! :)

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I will be busy in Winston-Salem that Saturday morning, and only hope to be dinished by 2pm. :dontknow:

SubGuy

New User
Zach
I can't justify a 14hr drive (with traffic). I have a garden to plant. I am just coming off travel and will be back on it the following week. I have more firewood to gather for winter. I have to shore up the chicken run. I am behind the power curve for such an extensive trip. Any trip of that magnitude would have to be scheduled around work, son's school, garden, wife and visiting family. If I was within 6 hrs I would probably do it and spend the night at a family members much like before. I am not typical of the membership though. I will make it in the future, just not this year.

JRD

New User
Jim
Sorry, It's an event that in the past I lived for.

Now that I work in retail, weekends no longer exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS