How to save this bowl blank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyekode

New User
Salem
This blank is over a year old and seems quite solid. It is Bradford pear, about 12" wide and 4-5" tall and I anchor sealed it when I rounded it originally.

I started rough turning it tonight and it seems dry.

And it has quite a crack/check:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386133309.401266.jpg

It did not show before I cut into it. And it is not yet showing significantly inside (check the left in the following photo):
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386133385.917055.jpg

Hopeless case? I don't hold out for it being a spectacular specimen but I like the shape and the size is very useful.

Plow ahead? Proceed with caution? CA glue in the crack? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Salem

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
It looks quite large. If it were me I would have to chalk it up as a loss. Youre awfully close to the pith and thats why it split and I would bet it will continue. The last thing you want is for it to come apart at speed!.

JRD

New User
Jim
In the past, I've used old coffee grounds and CA as a filler. It leaves a natural looking, dark line in the crack.

eyekode

New User
Salem
It looks quite large. If it were me I would have to chalk it up as a loss. Youre awfully close to the pith and thats why it split and I would bet it will continue. The last thing you want is for it to come apart at speed!.

I definitely screwed up leaving the pith in the blank :(. Lesson learned!

Salem

eyekode

New User
Salem
In the past, I've used old coffee grounds and CA as a filler. It leaves a natural looking, dark line in the crack.

I may give it a shot with CA and turn it slow. I should not have to do much work from the outside so I will be mostly out of the way if it explodes...
Salem

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Salem, my general rule of thumb is, "If you can't hide it, highlight it." Some have mentioned CA glue and coffee grounds. Personally I prefer epoxy, but either one works. You can mix any oil based pigment into epoxy, plus a host of other materials (e.g. coffee grounds, saw dust, etc.). You might even want to use a small gouge to widen the crack slightly before filling. That way the patch looks like a decorative element rather than a fix.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Be careful if you go the CA route. i had some pear that cracked like yours and I filled the crack with CA glue. it worked fine, but left an area next to the crack that showed up when I applied a finish (tung oil). If you glued up the rough blank, by the time you got down to final dimension you would probably have turned the stained area away.

Roy G

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Go slow and fill it in with a contrasting filler - blue or red turquoise, silver, whatever is your fancy. The idea is to add strength and beauty while the crack is small, so you can finish this piece of art.

Weekendturner

New User
WeekendTurner
I started rough turning it tonight and it seems dry.

And it has quite a crack/check:
It did not show before I cut into it. And it is not yet showing significantly inside (check the left in the following photo):

I would drop some thin CA in the outer crack for now, but before going to epoxy/filler, I would carefully (face shield for sure) finish roughing it. Your photo shows the bowl is still a very solid mass. I'm guessing if you put a meter to the inside you just cleared it would read closer to 20% moisture if it sat in solid state that long. In short, that bowl has a lot of movement left in it and you will not be dry enough for a real fix until you rough the inside and let the wood go where it wants to go. IMO, anyway. That pith could still be the end of it, sadly.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Not a bowl but I did a similar thing to what Bill mentioned on my workbench. I filled the cracks with Epoxy mixed with black dye. It made the fix look like natural dark lines in the wood. Someone commented on one of the pics that they liked the spalted wood I'd used to make the bench so I guess it worked.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Well it still has the crack but it feels pretty solid. It will make a good useful but not particularly decorative bowl:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390137718.134234.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1390137739.717093.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1390137753.918492.jpg

I really like the shape. The outside curve matches the inside curve about perfectly and I don't manage that too often :).
Salem

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Salem-
You are being too picky - that bowl looks GREAT!

I like the pith being in there and movement (cracks are just part of the deal)

I think it looks GREAT!

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
You got a bowl, you got to see how to fix a crack and you got to turn some bradford pear. Even though you weren't sure about turning it, I think you came out ahead. Every bowl you turn makes you a better turner.

Roy G

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Not a turner but have read about it and bowl turning, etc. so I defer to those who know a lot more. Yes, pith is a pither!

How to eliminate it for a 12" diameter bowl that's about 5-6" tall? Change the orientation of the log from which you're removing the blank. So it becomes a face grain turning instead of an end grain turning. No more pithing around. The pith is the dark brown area in the center of the log so it's gone.

Bowl_blank.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS