Best Glue for Cutting Boards

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRD

New User
Jim
I've been able to get a hold of some outstanding Maple boards that I'd like to use to whip up some last minute cutting boards as presents.

Considering a cutting board may be subject to water and moisture, what glues have you used?

I'm thinking along the lines of Titebond 3.

Thanks,

Jim

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Titebond 3 is what I use. As long as the cutting board is not left submerged in water or put in a dishwasher (yeah, I know someone that did that) it holds up really well. Haven't had any glue failures on my own boards using TB2 or TB3, a couple are 20+ years old.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Titebond 3 is what I use. As long as the cutting board is not left submerged in water or put in a dishwasher (yeah, I know someone that did that) it holds up really well. Haven't had any glue failures on my own boards using TB2 or TB3, a couple are 20+ years old.
That was me and yep... They go in the dish washer a few times a week. How else are you supposed to clean them?

"Titebond II Premium Wood Glue is the only leading brand, one-part wood glue that passes the ANSI Type II water-resistance specification. It is ideal for exterior woodworking projects, including outdoor furniture, birdhouses, mailboxes, planters and picnic tables.

Titebond II Premium provides a strong initial tack, fast speed of set, superior strength and excellent sandability. It is FDA approved for indirect food contact (cutting boards) and is ideal for radio frequency (R-F) gluing systems"

---> http://www.titebond.com/product.aspx?id=2ef3e95d-48d2-43bc-8e1b-217a38930fa2

I've never used TBIII before so I can't say anything about it. But here s the link to TBIII also --->
http://www.titebond.com/titebond_wood_glues/Ultimate_Wood_Glue.aspx

Truefire

New User
Chris
Im a Titebond 2 man. I have tried all sorts of glues, yes even the Titebond 3 and yet Titebond 2 seemingly outperforms in those places where something might be exposed to water. I make duck calls and have them hanging outside my shop in the elements for months at the time as testing projects. I can say that Titebond 2 just surprises the heck out of me. Love its viscosity in application better than the three as well.

If you are making boards that will only see a damp wash cloth for cleaning of crumbs and such, you would never have any issues with the Titebond 2, that much I can say affirmatively. :wink_smil

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
TB III has a better open time and is designed for uses where water exposure is more frequent -- my first choice for this application.

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
TB2. I'm sure TB1 and 3 are optimal for certain things but I long ago abandoned optimal for "plenty good enough."

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
Titebond II here. I've made several hundred cutting boards over the years and I'm not aware of any TBII failures with mine yet.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
That was me and yep... They go in the dish washer a few times a week. How else are you supposed to clean them?

"Titebond II Premium Wood Glue is the only leading brand, one-part wood glue that passes the ANSI Type II water-resistance specification. It is ideal for exterior woodworking projects, including outdoor furniture, birdhouses, mailboxes, planters and picnic tables.

Titebond II Premium provides a strong initial tack, fast speed of set, superior strength and excellent sandability. It is FDA approved for indirect food contact (cutting boards) and is ideal for radio frequency (R-F) gluing systems"

---> http://www.titebond.com/product.aspx?id=2ef3e95d-48d2-43bc-8e1b-217a38930fa2

I've never used TBIII before so I can't say anything about it. But here s the link to TBIII also --->
http://www.titebond.com/titebond_wood_glues/Ultimate_Wood_Glue.aspx

Interesting info there.

I've had a couple of boards that have had a glue failure, one was regularly put in the dishwasher, another was left underwater in the sink overnight. I was able to rip the joint then re-glue and they have held up well since then.

For cleaning I just rinse well right after use and wipe it down with a sponge and dish detergent.

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
I strongly recommend hand washing wood cutting boards if you want to keep them. Titebond III works great.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Jeff, I don't think that anyone is disagreeing with you so why rant about what a cutting board is or is not. The boards are expendable in my opinion, but a little care and maintenance which you've described above can help too.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Jeff, I don't think that anyone is disagreeing with you so why rant about what a cutting board is or is not. The boards are expendable in my opinion, but a little care and maintenance which you've described above can help too.
Because I woke up on the wrong side of the bed maybe - I will remove my "rant"

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Rant about your home-raised organic turkey for dinner tomorrow. Pics are always good too. :eek:ccasion1

toolman

New User
Chad
Is TB II better than TB III?

The following is from the Titebond web site..

This is the Titebond Product Selector web page, check it out and make up your own mine.
http://www.titebond.com/product_selector.aspx

By using the selector, to me it is 50/50.. see below

http://www.titebond.com/product_sel...e=app&id=60775657-ce3c-4ad0-8696-f6cc36d5a9bd

Cutting boards and other applications requiring FDA approval for indirect contact: Use TB II or TB III

TB II: Water - resistant and for Interior / Exterior
  • First one-part wood glue to pass ANSI Type II water-resistance
  • Designed for exterior use
  • Excellent sandability
  • Unaffected by finishes
  • FDA approved for indirect food contact
  • Ideal for radio frequency (R-F) and hot press gluing systems
  • Easy cleanup with water

TB III: Waterproof and for Interior / Exterior

• Passes ANSI/HPVA Type I water-resistance
  • Waterproof formula that cleans up with water
  • Superior strength - Strong initial tack