Search results

1. tdotrob

Chainsaw sculptors?

One of my neighbors texted me today to ask if I know anyone who sculpts with a chainsaw. He's got a fantastic landscaped fern grotto and I'm guessing he wants to commission a piece. Is there's a club or group for that I can refer him to? Thanks -- T.Rob
  2. tdotrob

FOG wood ID?

Well, I'm far enough along my woodturning journey to pick up a nice log from the side of the road when I find one but still not knowledgeable to identify it. I guess that's progress, though. Any idea what this is? I've already turned it so here's a shot with a better view of the grain...
  3. tdotrob

So I've got this unused outrigger...

When I bought my lathe, one of the features I liked is the ability to swivel the headstock to turn larger pieces. There's an optional outrigger that allows up to 29" of swing. I was sure I'd learn the basics of turning and be turning giant decorative pieces within a few weeks. Of course, a year...
  4. tdotrob

Blueberry meringue bowl

So I was pouring resin for a hybrid bowl and got one of those "stroke of genius" ideas - what if I briefly put the bowl under vacuum before putting it in the pressure pot? It works for stabilizing resin so why not casting resin? Well, the answer in part is that the casting resin I used has a 12...
  5. tdotrob

Vacuum pump A/B manifold - good or bad idea?

I am currently running two vacuum chambers in parallel. One is stabilizing some burl and the other is drying half a log. Every time I switch from pulling vacuum on one chamber to the other, I swap hoses at the pump. So I thought, why not buy or make an A/B manifold? It would be a 1/4 female...
  6. tdotrob

YAWI - Yet Another Wood ID

Anyone know what this is? I plan to split it and make some bowls either way but it'd be nice to know what it is I'm working with.
  7. tdotrob

Good save or too weird?

I fell in love with end-grain while making some cutting boards a while back. I have made several pens with end-grain blanks. The wood has a tendency to blow out so I've learned to use freshly sharpened tools and take light cuts. I also stabilize some of the more challenging pieces with a CA glue...
  8. tdotrob

Eye protection

I'm still learning my turning tools so tonight I searched for videos on "how to use a bedan". Thanks to spell check, the results I got back were videos on the topic of "how to use a bedpan". :eek: Noooooo! Damn you autocorrect! Some things you can't unsee. So now I'm offering this advice in the...
  9. tdotrob

Is this normal?

I picked up a piece of olive wood turning stock on spec a while back. Today I was looking through my wood stockpile and happened to notice a weird pattern on this piece. On closer inspection I realized it has a rather large void that has been filled with pieces of solid wood and resin or wood...
  10. tdotrob

1st Bandsaw box - blade advice

Attempting my first bandsaw box. I know if the blade is too wide it can't make the radius cuts but is there such a thing as the blade being too narrow? What kind of problems does that cause? Drift? Burning? For what it's worth, the blank thickness is 4" of walnut with another 3/4" of hackberry...
  11. tdotrob

New in Charlotte

Hi , all! I'm a hobbyist woodworker in the early learning stage. Over the years I've made some utility items such a a desk, a garage shelving unit, washer/dryer risers, etc. but now I'm aspiring to make things more appropriate to the living areas of the house. Everyone in the family who cooks...
  12. tdotrob

Free table saw - Gone!

This is a massive cabinet saw from my father-in-law's production cabinet shop. It was working when removed from service but I have no way to test/demo the saw since it uses 220. I have a very nice table saw of my own and not interested in either running a new 220 line in my shop or figuring what...
  13. tdotrob

Two questions

Two questions for the folks here... 1) Do you know what this thing is? 2) Do you want it? My father-in-law ran a production cabinet shop and I believe this was for drilling dowel holes, but that's just a guess. Whatever it is, I barely have room for my own equipment and can't fit it into my...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors