FOG wood ID?

tdotrob

New User
T.Rob
Well, I'm far enough along my woodturning journey to pick up a nice log from the side of the road when I find one but still not knowledgeable to identify it. I guess that's progress, though. Any idea what this is?

2021-12-11_22-07-02.png

2021-12-11_22-07-47.png

I've already turned it so here's a shot with a better view of the grain:

2021-12-11_22-09-11.png

Thanks in advance! -- T.Rob

tdotrob

New User
T.Rob
Looks like some variety of oak
Eek! I'd better go clean and wax my lathe bed!

That makes sense based on how hard this wood was after only a month of seasoning in the garage. Although I didn't guess oak because the pores were not noticeably large. This thing sanded down to 2000 grit and feels like glass after a bit of Danish oil.

It's a Christmas gift for some friends and the wood ID is just to include in the card. Not critical but nice to know. Not sure whether I'll tell them I plucked it from someone's bulky trash pickup pile, though. :D

Thanks!

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
I always put the date, species of wood and my initials on any bowl I turn. Nice to see a 20 year old bowl still in use.

Roy G

tdotrob

New User
T.Rob
To me it looks like white oak
+1 for white oak
White Oak
Oak by the grain, White Oak by the flakey bark
Consensus says white oak and even some extra diagnostic criteria. Thanks for the replies!

Looks like a few carpenter bees got in it.
I used a faceplate to start and when one of the screws hit a void I started thinking "rustic bowl". In the end I didn't fill the holes in or try to cut them away and it came out looking quite good.

I always put the date, species of wood and my initials on any bowl I turn. Nice to see a 20 year old bowl still in use.
I started late so I may be in a nursing home before any of my bowls be to be 20 years old. But I do sign and date my work. Maybe I'll see something 5 years in service at some point.

Any idea what this is?
Looks like part of a tree.
There's always one person in the crowd who answers the question you asked instead of the one you intended. I can't decide whether that deserves extra points or deducted points, though. ;)

Honestly, I should know better. I've been writing computer programs for 50 years and the computer ALWAYS does exactly what you ask and quite often that isn't what was intended.

Finished the bowl today, by the way. It was pretty dry and pretty shallow so I risked leaving the pith in the rim to get a bit more height. It didn't move much overnight but a few new cracks can be felt by touch. Then again, the term "rustic" papers over a lot of sin.

2021-12-12_13-25-35.png

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
<snip>

Finished the bowl today, by the way. It was pretty dry and pretty shallow so I risked leaving the pith in the rim to get a bit more height. It didn't move much overnight but a few new cracks can be felt by touch. Then again, the term "rustic" papers over a lot of sin.

View attachment 206569
Fingers crossed that pith doesn't come back to bite you.

I wouldn't assume that blank was anywhere near dry after 30 days. Rule of thumb is a year of air drying per inch. It's why folks rough turn bowls to an inch of wall thickness, then set them aside for a year to dry before putting them back on the lathe to finish turning.

-Mark

tdotrob

New User
T.Rob
I wouldn't assume that blank was anywhere near dry after 30 days
I wasn't, exactly. When I've turned green wood before, the outside is often out of round before I'm halfway to hollowing the inside. This bowl stayed true through the hollowing and when I went to finish it the next day it had barely moved. I'm not counting on it being dry, or even not to develop a crack or three, just dry enough to not split completely apart or warp like a vinyl record left in the sun. The the dining room of the people getting it is all rough beams and a picnic style live edge table with bench seating so slight warping and cracking will fit right in.

Now it looks like a nice bowl.
Thanks! My wife tried the "mine now" trick when she saw it, so it got her vote too. (She relinquished her claim when I told her it was already promised.)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors