Thompson Tools bowl gouge and grinding setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyekode

New User
Salem
I bought my first bowl gouge last week and I finally got a chance to put a handle on it. It is a 1/2" Thompson V shaped bowl gouge. I don't have much experience with lathes or lathe tools so take all of this with a grain of salt or too.

Shipping was great. It arrived before I expected it. And it was packaged quite well.

69CG7489.JPG

View image in gallery

However I was quite surprised it had some surface rust on it. A little rubbing with WD-40 got most of it off.

The tang was just about dead on .5".

I took a scrap piece of walnut and turned a handle for it:

As you can see I didn't do a great job on cutting the copper pipe for the ferule to the right length but I think it is functional:

I was a little surprised at the grind it had from Thompson tools. Reading their site it sounds like they use a wolverine grinding jig so I expected the wings to be swept back more. But I don't know anything so I made a jig to copy the grind:

My tool rest is a little lower than a wolverine would be (mine is ~6.5 " or so?) so I could not directly copy the dimensions. Therefore I cut the dowel long to start with and progressively shortened it until rotating the gouge in the jig appeared to copy the original grind.

Here is the grind I have now:

This wing is a little higher and I still need to figure out what went wrong:

The gouge seems to cut well and I used it to hollow out a bowl that Bob (woodArtz) gave me. I did not notice any decrease in sharpness through the bowl. But I did end up with more tear out then I would have expected. It doesn't look terrible but after quite a bit of sanding on the lathe it has not gone away. As this is my first bowl I am not sure if this is expected, my sharpening was poor or my technique was poor (maybe a little of all three) :). I will post a separate thread with some pictures of my first attempts :).

Thanks for all the help I have received!
Salem

HLW

New User
Harold
eyekode, Looks like you did a great job on the handle.What brand turning tool did you use for that? I've thought about purchasing a couple of Thompson chisels,they seem to have a good reputation from other turners. Let us know how they work out for you.I was disappointed to hear they were shipped with rust on them. Now I don't think they are at the top of my list but are still in contention. Keep up the good work.:icon_thum

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
Great looking job there,you should see my 1st handle,then again no you shouldn't:no:I made that little gringing jig when I 1st started,still use it on my smaller tools,but went to the wolverine when I got Dougs 5/8 then 3/4 :gar-La; your gonna love his tools an don't forget if you have any questions about it,just give him a call or email him,great guy to know an deal with. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

eyekode

New User
Salem
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS