OSB vrs plywood walls

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike_wood

Update your profile with your name
User
My last shop had plywood panel walls. I really liked having walls I could attach directly to. I just finished a 25' X 25' shop in OSB. I thought I would add to this discussion. Not trying to change anyone's mind - just food for thought.

I considered OSB walls when I had a bunch left over from construction.

PRICE - this was a main consideration since I was fairly broke from the construction costs.
1/2" OSB was $5 and change a sheet - plywood was >$15. Since I had a fair amount to do I saved some bucks.

PAINTING - this is where OSB became a real pain. Getting primer/paint into all the nooks made me use more paint and went much slower. Additionally, little pieces of the OSB came off on the roller and could not be washed off. I had to throw away rollers after one use.

DRIVING SCREWS - It is a bit more problematic getting screws in because I used the smoother side which has a coating. Once they are in they hold fine but when one is on a ladder in an awkward position (I ran my electrical on the outside of the walls) it can be a bit aggravating.

Hope this helps someone considering what to use.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Would you say that the cost of painting and the added aggravation outweighed the savings on OSB?

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
... just thought I'd toss in my 2 cents worth... OSB may be structurally sound, but it not all that attractive, even after being painted. The sawdust is VERY aggressive. It tears up easily when being worked. If price is the consideration, it's hard to beat, but I generally use it only if it's being covered with more than paint.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
I'm using OSB for the walls of my basement shop. It's pretty much 1/4 the cost of plywood and I really don't care what the walls look like in the shop. I'd not use it for anything that needs to be pretty but for me it's just fine for shop walls. I'm not planning on doing any painting.

I totally agree about the dust. I set up saw horses outside for sizing OSB panels.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I didn't know there was a smooth or flat side. Always thought it was just the rough, wavy side.

I have not looked at or bought any OSB for a long time. But I do recall back in the day working for Wicks Lumber it used to have a smooth side and a rough side - You mean both sides are rough now? I did see the price of 7/16 OSB at the BORG a few weeks ago @ $4.99 a sheet. But didn't look at it. I'll have to look at it again and see...

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I never bought any and try not to look at it.

I was inferring that the supposed smooth side is too rough for my taste.

Wait, I take that back I did let my friend talk me into using osb for the floor in my shop. I hate the stuff. Should have bought plywood.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Osb does have rough/smooth side - believe me - you don't want that smooth side up when lying it on a roof for sheeting - jeff i would do the smooth side in for a shop

blackemmons

New User
Jim
This is OSB on the wall's of my man's cave under the garage:

IMG_0415.jpg

I've had many very positive comments. It's painted with a dual roller system and unless you really look at it closely you don't even notice what it is.:dontknow:

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Osb does have rough/smooth side - believe me - you don't want that smooth side up when lying it on a roof for sheeting - jeff i would do the smooth side in for a shop

Gotcha... so there still is a rough / smooth side. I mean unless you making movies for holywood or something like that in your shop what's wrong with OSB to cover the walls and ceiling? Seems like a cheap way to get covered. I would love to cover the walls in my shop but the exposed studs do offer an advantage for hanging stuff on 20d nails and putting stuff on 4" wide shelves. Personally, If my shop were to nice I wouldn't want to work in there. I would never get anything done, I would always be cleaning it. I like the sawdust hole my shop is... I'm not afraid to get it messy because it already is :) I understand this is not the preference of most WWers, but it is for me.

SubGuy

New User
Zach

+1 Smooth side on roof bad!:XXfridge: 12/12 Roof is hard enough to walk on as it is. Not to mention what happens when someone forgets to knock the sawdust off a cut piece! I've seen the results and not pretty!!!!:no:

Zach

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
OSB may be structurally sound, but it not all that attractive, even after being painted.

I saw a home improvement show about a couple who was very green/eco-centric. The put down OSB for their kitchen / great room floors. The used a dado blade to put grooves to create 1-foot "tiles" and laid down some dark wood strips in the grooves (looked like walnut). These were aligned to hide the edges between sheets. Then they put down poly over the whole thing. It looked GREAT! I was simply amazed.

PChristy

New User
Phillip

IMG_0415.jpg

I've had many very positive comments. It's painted with a dual roller system and unless you really look at it closely you don't even notice what it is.:dontknow:

Jim that looks great:icon_thum

Gotcha... so there still is a rough / smooth side. I mean unless you making movies for holywood or something like that in your shop what's wrong with OSB to cover the walls and ceiling? Seems like a cheap way to get covered. I would love to cover the walls in my shop but the exposed studs do offer an advantage for hanging stuff on 20d nails and putting stuff on 4" wide shelves. Personally, If my shop were to nice I wouldn't want to work in there. I would never get anything done, I would always be cleaning it. I like the sawdust hole my shop is... I'm not afraid to get it messy because it already is :) I understand this is not the preference of most WWers, but it is for me.

Not a thing wrong with it Jeff - Some I guess want to cover the walls so that they can insulate their shop better:dontknow: That is the only reason I would do it and I would most likely use the OSB slick side out to do it with - Paint? I don't know -Scroll saw work with Intarsia on one big wall most lilely:icon_thum

+1 Smooth side on roof bad!:XXfridge: 12/12 Roof is hard enough to walk on as it is. Not to mention what happens when someone forgets to knock the sawdust off a cut piece! I've seen the results and not pretty!!!!:no:

Zach

Zach, I haven't seen anyone slip off the roof yet and I hope I never do but there has been some close calls - We try our best to cut all of the QSB upside down but when it comes to thos angles it is hard for me to figure that out when the OSB is sitting there upside down:BangHead:

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
I saw a home improvement show about a couple who was very green/eco-centric. The put down OSB for their kitchen / great room floors. The used a dado blade to put grooves to create 1-foot "tiles" and laid down some dark wood strips in the grooves (looked like walnut). These were aligned to hide the edges between sheets. Then they put down poly over the whole thing. It looked GREAT! I was simply amazed.

OSB is not a moisture resistant kind of thing. If you use that for flooring, I'd put a LOT of coats of poly on it. ... and a kitchen is a place where there would be loads of moisture. I would also be concerned about the floor loading. OSB would require some kind of substrate to ensure structural integrity. At the risk of sounding critical, I'd be very careful about what I 'learn' from home improvement shows.

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
OSB is great in the applications it was designed for. My main concern is that unless sealed it does not belong in a heated space. Some OSB, but not all, can off gas from the glue used to make it, especially when heated, thus it is usually used on exterior walls and sub floors. Some people are very sensitive to the fumes.

Jeff

Glennbear

Glenn
For price and installation ease I used OSB to finish my 24x24 detached shop. I worked around the painting issue by using an airless sprayer. I do agree that a dust mask and regular floor sweeping is needed when cutting OSB indoors. It has been nearly two years and I am still pleased with my choice of OSB for interior wall sheathing. :wsmile:

Last edited:

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Nice looking room Jim!

Bob

IMG_0415.jpg

blackemmons

New User
Jim
Thanks PChristy and Bob.

I really like it.

It's part of the walk out basement. It's under my suspended concrete garage floor, has concrete walls on all four sides and a concrete floor.

Super quiet.............a good place for napping. The shop is just outside the door, complete with men's room and shower. I only go upstairs when I need "real" food.:gar-Bi

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS