New turner looking for tools....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kicbak

New User
Wes
I've recently started turning with the lathe I got off CL

IMG_5198.jpg

I bought a 1/4" bowl gouge and a 1/2" round nose scraper. I am looking to add some more. I've looked at high quality down to the HF tools as well. I know most turners upgrade so I was wondering if anyone had some old entry level chisels laying around? I don't want to buy anything great and ruin them. I need to learn how to sharpen them properly first.

Wes

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Harbor Freight has several tool sets good for beginning turner. The set in the wooden box that sells for either 49.99 or 59.99, I can't remember which price:BangHead:, is actually a good set that holds a fairly good edge and sharpens well. The 9.99 set is pretty much junk IMHO.

DavidF

New User
David
Hi Wes, I know a number of the members here have the HF set for spindle turning and say good things about it. When I started I wanted to do mainly bowl turning and felt that something more heavy duty was required for that so treated my self to a Sorby 3/8 bowl gouge. I also splashed out on a mid price roughing gouge, again, because they take some abuse. Then I went with the "benjamins Best" from Penn State Ind for a 3/4 skew and spindle gouge. So other than the Sorby tool, I didn't spend a lot - not counting the Chuck!!!

So try the HF set and see how you get on. They have 3 different levels of set ,price wise so pick one that fits the budget

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
I purchased the $49(I think that was the price, the set in the box) Harbor Freight set when I first started spindle turning. I have since upgraded to the Sorby 8 pc set. The HF set is a deal at that price. I am not using mine now though much since buying the Sorby set. But $49 vs. $300 plus for the Sorby, the HF is a steal. If interseted I would sell the HF set for $30 + actual shipping. I didn,t keep the box though. I built a wall rack so I could get them easy while turning.

Kicbak

New User
Wes
Lots of good info everyone. Thats why this is such a great site. I guess the best option is to look at the PSI and HF kits and find the set that adds and doesn't replicate the 2 chisels I already have.

Wes

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I never got that good at turning (don't have a "real" lathe right now; got rid of the all-too-cheap one I had), but some of the best spindle turners I have seen use the skew almost exclusively. It's a tricky tool to learn because it can catch. the best advice I got on that was to learn by making mushrooms out of fresh branches. The spur won't hold them well enough to do any damage when you catch and it teaches you to use a light touch. BTW, people love those little mushrooms; I gave them away to family and friends and many asked if they could have more. Anyway, the skew will finish better than sanding, parts, beads, etc. But yeah, it also catches...

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
The HF HSS set will work fine. You really don't need a "set" (you'll probably find a couple tools in there that you don't use), but it's tough to go wrong for $50.

If you are planning to turn bowls, you should budget for a 3/8" or 1/2" bowl gouge too. Klingspor has good prices on the Crown line with the 10% NCWWker discount. The HF set is just spindle tools.

-Mark

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Welcome to the dark side. I went to HF and got my set 49.99 inthe wooden box.Would love to have some sorbys but they will have to wait.You can't go wrong with those.That way if turning is not for you you don't have that much $ tied up.

erasmussen

New User
RAS
I am on a limited budget so
I do all my turning with "oland" tools and 1 parting tool :icon_thum
You can make "Oland" tools your self very cheap, mine cost about $3 each total.

Of course I am not a real good turner, but not that bad eather :gar-La;

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I started with the HF set, and still use them, and then added to my arsenal as I needed. I also found that you can take some of the unused chisels in the HF set and regrind them into some thing that you will use. The 1" skew became a bowl scraper :icon_thum I highly recommend both Pinnacle and Benjamin's Best tools. They are value priced but high quality. Personally I think Sorby tools are over-rated for their cost :roll::roll:

MTCW,
Dave:)

cliff56

cliff
Corporate Member
i would reccomend the benjamins best line as well economical and very good quality avaliable at penn state as well as ebay at good deals. sorbys are nice but most are outta my budjet. bought a crown or two from klingspor , love that 10%!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS