Need Advice on Cutting Dead Tree for Lumber?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsjordan

New User
Joel Jordan
We have a large Cypress tree at my Moms that's been dead for a number of years now but is still standing. The reason is that it sits at the bottom of a steep 30 foot+ bank on the waters edge and I havent figured a good way to get it cut and hauled up without tearing up the bank and yard.:eusa_thin

My question is whether it is worth trying to bring it up whole and have a sawyer cut it into lumber or cut it up where it sits because the dead wood is no good for lumber?? :dontknow:

I have zero experience with sawyers and this type of work so advice is very much appreciated. :icon_thum

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Joel, in general most standing dead wood is not very good for milling and drying. A variety of bugs tend to infect the wood while its standing dead, reducing it's value.

Additionally, felling standing dead trees is usually the most dangerous type of logging that there is. This is because of the high liklihood that dead limbs, or even the top of the tree - can fall down during the felling process, severely hurting or even killing the feller with the chainsaw at the bottom of the tree.

If there were species of standing dead timber that my be ok to mill, due to it's bug and rot resistance cypress may be one of them. I'll let Ivey chime in here; he's our resident expert on milling cypress.

Ivey

New User
Ivey
Joel, I am with Scott 100% on this one. If the tree is not hurting anything I would let it stand where it is. The heart wood of this tree may be Ok, But from a danger aspect
the wood is not worth the risk. Then taking into account the 30' grade.:XXfridge:

Now, if you want or need some cypress maybe I can help:icon_thum

jsjordan

New User
Joel Jordan
:confused_ dang it, that's what I suspected but I appreciate the expert advice.

It is a large tree and could yield a fair amount of cypress but given the danger factor I think I will let it go. :sad11:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS