mortising machine opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
what does everyone think of this from Sears/Craftsman. does anyone recognize the manufacturer? What quality and durability can be expected from it? thanks.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
I like the price... I'm interested in the answer to this question as well. One of those machines that I'd imagine you don't use too often, but when you do, it's got to save alot of time. It would make me much more inclined to try mortise and tennon joints.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Price looks good. Can't comment as to quality or anything. I have a Jet mortiser. I wish it had a riser block (which it appears you can get) and I wish the hold down on mine was better. I like the arm/handle on the Craftsman but that is all I can say. Do they have it in stock where you can go check it out? That would be my suggestion.

Monty

New User
Monty
Mine is a Craftsman. I bought it used.

IMG_6748.jpg

Overall I'm fairly happy with it, but it does have a little lateral play. In other words, if you're trying to shave the edge off one side of a mortise, it will frequently deviate and follow the edge instead of cutting into the side. This may be a problem with other mortisers too, though.

Also - I don't know about that newer model, but mine only takes Craftsman brand hollow mortise chisels - can't use any of the standard aftermarket brands. This is because the chuck on mine is so small, the standard size bits won't reach all the way up to the chuck. Here is a pic I took when I tried to fit a Fisch bit in there a while back:

IMG_6746.jpg

The hold-down is not that great on mine. If you've never used a HCM before, you may not realize what an important role the hold-down plays. It works fine though once you clamp the fence down using C-clamps like you see in the pic below. It gets the job done, though...

IMG_1769.jpg

If I were you I would seriously look at the Delta 14-651 (not the MM300).

Ryan

New User
Ryan Sellers
From the picture that mortiser looks pretty good, but I've never been happy with Craftsman machines. Seems like everywhere I look people are complimenting the Jet mortisers, if I'm remembering correctly one of the editors of Popular Woodworking wrote a full page article on their Jet mortiser, and he liked it with the exception of the common complaint, the hold down. Just my .02.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
I don't know about ya'll but the one insomniac has looks like it cuts some pretty nice mortises. My DP setup dosen't cutem that clean. I might be lookin a new tool!!!!!!

stoneskippers

New User
John Skipper
I have one just like it. It's worked well for me the past 3 years. I don't have anyway to compare it to other machines because it the only one I've used. I got it used for $45.00 so I'm happy.

M

McRabbet

Pete,

Although the Craftsman unit is not included, there was a fairly thorough review of Benchtop Mortisers in the June/July issue of WOOD magazine, starting on page 78. They rated the Delta 14-651 and Shop Fox W1671 the "best values" (at $230 each retail) and The General 75-050T at $340 as "Top Tool". If you need a copy of the article, PM me and I'll see what I can do to help.

Rob

cpowell

New User
Chuck
A while back, I "borrowed" an HF HCM from a buddy for about a month and that was my first experience with a mortiser. It worked but was a pain to set up and choked up frequently.

I got the Delta 14-651 for Christmas, 2004 and I will say that the Delta is a full order of magnitude better than the HF model. I find setup to be very easy and it is accurate enough that all I do is center the cut on a test piece, than simply mark the "start" and "end" points along every piece of stock and go. The fence adjusts easily. Once set, it will not waver from the mark. It makes a straight edged mortise. It allows me to make accurate mortises very quickly. I can shave the edges of a mortise but I expect a sharp chisel helps. I have confidence in it (a very important thing for me).

I have heard of several people having problems with the machine arriving damaged but fortunately mine was okay. I cannot compare it with the Craftsman or any others.

There are some who are talented enough to make mortises quickly by hand. I am not in that group. I have made a lot of M&T joints in the past year. I really like my mortiser.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
NCPete said:
what does everyone think of this from Sears/Craftsman. does anyone recognize the manufacturer? What quality and durability can be expected from it? thanks.

I've been looking at that one too. It's made by Orian, who makes the new zip code saws for Craftsman.
I had to call with a question on a tenon jig I got at Woodcraft and was surprised to find I was talking to a nice guy at Orion. I remembered to ask about the Craftsman mortiser and he said they are very proud of the unit.
If it has the quality and level of support that Orion has delivered on it's other products, it should be a fine unit.
(Orion was started by a group of Delta engineers)
ken

ChrisC

New User
Christopher Cain
I have the Shop Fox and have been very satisfied with it. I can't compare it to any other brand, because I haven't used any other bench top mortiser.

I used an old foot operated Cresent, when I worked as a cabinetmaker. After using one of them no bench top can compare, beleive I know.

The Shop Fox, has the same "problem" as Insominacs Craftsman. Delta, Jet, or Fisch chisels/bits aren't long enough to reach the chuck. I use Shop Fox/Grizzly brand, and they do fine.

Here are a few pics of my set-up:

04-10-20051.JPG

04-10-20056.JPG

Last edited:

woodguy1975

New User
John
The best one to get is the General benchtop with the tilting head. It runs about $299, but is worth every penny. I got my General before the tilt head version existed or that is the one I would have gotten. I've cut a lot of mortises with mine and have been really impressed. The general usually wins most of the magazine showdowns too.

Thanks,

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS