Looking for Used Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
I am building a new shop and would like to put windows all around the top of the wall to let in natural light. I have been searching on Craig's List but haven't found anyone who has several of the same size for sale at a reasonable price. Mobile homes generally have a lot of windows all one size and I was wondering if anyone knew any place where used mobile homes go to die (like a junk yard for cars) where I might could get several small windows cheap.

Thanks

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
Take a look at builders discount center. Not used, but prices are pretty good.

I'd also keep my eyes on the Habitat reuse center if you have one in your area.

Dudelive

New User
Dude
Using windows for natural lighting is a good idea as long as you keep in mind that the windows for most mobile homes are no where near as tight as you really need, unless you are not going to use the shop in winter. The post above has a much better idea.

You may could find some double hung windows and take them apart and use the top and bottom side by side.

They will only have to match on the same side, people won't see 2 different sides at the same time unless they are being picky. Look for some damaged windows at some home centers, they sometimes sell damaged when there are scratches, dents or boxes tore open.

b4man

New User
Barbara
Hey Susan,

Another thought is to call a window replacement company and request the originals. They would probably be free for picking them up.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Barbara

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
Check your local (or closest) Habitat for Humanity Re-Use Center. The one in Raleigh always has many windows in stock (some wooden, some vinyl). At least once when I was there, they had so many windows in stock, they were giving them away for free.

Dust Storm

New User
Jim
I agree, the Habitat for Humanity Re-Use Center is an excellent source for that sort od thing. Keep in mind, the stock is always different at any given time, so go in with an open mind and check back often.

Marlin

New User
Marlin
Also check out Lowes/HD clerance section. Teh ones near me have wondows and doors in the clerance section all the time. I got my shop window from there. Was $125 but $50 when i got it. basic vinyal window but much better then the old singlepane it replaced.

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
Thanks all for the replies. I'm pretty sure we have a HfH resell store in the area. I've never been there but I'll check it out.

The problem with home store sales if that they never have a lot of the same size. I'm trying not to sink a lot of money in this shop, (a friend with heavy equipment is trading me his time for me making and installing the doors and drawers in his new kitchen cabinets) but I would like to make it a place that looks as nice as possible and is very pleasant to work in. So I would at least like to have the row of windows all the same size if not made of the same type of material. The shop will be 48' x 24'.

My current shop is tight on space, has no dust collection and all the cabinets, stands and benches were cobbled together with whatever I had on hand or whatever I found on clearance. I've always been someone who cared more about function than looks when it comes to the shop, but I realize that I can try lots of new techniques and hone my skills as I try to turn out shop cabinets I can be proud of. I've also just stuck my tools wherever they would fit as I bought them. I'm going to be a lot more thoughtful about everything when I move in to the new area. Thank goodness my dear husband is patientwith my woodworking addiction, even if he doesn't understand it.

cptully

New User
Chris
Susan,

If you are comfortable making rail and stile type cabinet doors, you are well on the way to making windows... Just need to learn to cut glass of find a good glass company that will give a quantity discount. Depending on the look you want, a fixed window can be as simple as a frame (rails and stiles) with a rabbet on one side instead of a groove for the panel. The glass is then held in with points and putty.

Of course making movable windows is more complicated.

Good luck!

Chris

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I don't know your transportation abilities, but the Habitat Restore in West Columbia has a good many used windows. I was in there Thursday doing 'reconnoisance'. They're right off US1 on Sunset Blvd (US378) after the Canal Bridge river crossing. Not sure if Kershaw County has a Habitat Restore.

wayne

New User
wayne
Susan

Where are you in relation to charlotte, I have some sashes that came out of a neighbor's house that are aluminum framed double paned that need a home.I'm about an hour from charlotte and if you and your husband want to come pick them up there're free for the takeing. If your interested I can get you some dimensions tomorrow and the count.

Wayne

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
Wayne,

That is very generous and I am definitely interested. We live just a little less than an hour south of Charlotte. I'm afraid I know nothing about NC except for Charlotte and Fayettville (where I spent some military time on Gallant Knight exercises.)

Dennis,

I will see if I can get out to the West Columbia store next week. We Adult Ed teachers are furloughed for at least a week so the timing is perfect.

Thanks

wayne

New User
wayne
Just let me know and I'll measure them and get a total count. I have several but different sizes,probably 4-5 of same sizes.
I don't know how many you need but I have 16 wood stationary type windows that are 3'x5' in size. These are single lite double pane tempered glass, only problem is I have 50.00 each in these.I bought them for a sun room that never got built.I would consider selling 8-10 of these if interested in them.These are new with the wood frame primed on the outside and stain grade on inside they were intended to be installed with long dimension verticle as one end is cut on a bevel so as to use a sloping window sill for shedding water on the outside.They have no caseing around them,they are like a sash.
The aluminum ones came out of a Jim Walter home and are useable and free

Wayne

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
I have all of the sash from a house here in Spring Hope that was built about 1890. About half of the panes are original. It's only the sash though with no casings. You can have them free if you think you can use them. The drive might be too much though.

I can get measurements if you're interested. If not, they are free to anyone else who may be able to use them.

I took them from the owner who was going to toss them. I got them mostly for the remaining old glass, but I'll never use them.

We stripped the paint from this house - about 8 coats - and got everyone of these windows to open top and bottom, then primed them, reglazed them, primed the glazing, and put on 2 coats of paint. They hadn't opened in decades. Now they were fully restored. Next the owners got some moron to spray paint the interior. He coated the windows heavily so they would no longer open. Then the owners decided since the windows didn't work they should replace them, which they did. I still groan with frustration when I think about it. Anyway they are in great shape now.

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
Thanks to all who responded.

I'm able to get some sliding doors cheap and am going to install these along three of the walls. I think I'll really like the unobstructed view and, since my walls are 10' high, maybe there won't be too much chance of my breaking them.

I'm only going to put in one normal window because I hate to give up the wall space. I picked that up at HfH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS