Green sweetgum for shop floor

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricS

Eric
Senior User
I'm cutting down about 10 fair size sweetgum trees in my yard. a friend has his woodmizer at my house and plan on sawing some large pines so I figured instead of using the clear pine for the floor of my shop I could use the sweetgum instead. My question is can I use the sweetgum if I T&G it and screw down 16" OC I plan on sawing to 2"x6-8" Im going to use it green and dont mind the gaps from shrinkage Thanks in advance for any advice.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Eric, there have been MANY posts here about people trying to use sweetgum lumber. One member here is a sawyer & he cut several logs to potentially use as lumber. The grain in gum is so random that it twists & warps when it dries. I don't think you'll find anyone that will recommend this. Thus far on this site I've seen sweetgum used for 3 things:

1. Bowl turning of spalted gum.
2. Firewood.
3. Gum balls made into pens.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
My experince with SG is it curls up like potato chips, it's beautiful wood just not very stable. You may experince some weird movement and splitting screwing it down green like your explaining.

I cut a litttle 4/4 SG and stuck it to air dry, I put about 2500 BF of green 4/4 oak on top of it (that's a little more than 6 tons) and one SG board curled up so bad it actually lifted pile up about 4", that's some serious movement.

Best of luck to you :thumbs_up

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Eric, I would advise against it, as it will move. I built some shelves several years back out of green sweetgum. Some of the boards pulled 3-1/2" ring shank nails right out of the studs when they twisted while drying...

Once it's dry, you should be ok - just not green.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Eric, there have been MANY posts here about people trying to use sweetgum lumber. One member here is a sawyer & he cut several logs to potentially use as lumber. The grain in gum is so random that it twists & warps when it dries. I don't think you'll find anyone that will recommend this. Thus far on this site I've seen sweetgum used for 3 things:

2. Firewood.

Dennis,

You need to expand your horizons, like this guy:

feather.jpg

:gar-La;

It's a great carving wood; lots of large sculpture are done with it. Also a lot of treenware (and it is a historically accurate wood for that).

EricS

Eric
Senior User
Dennis,

feather.jpg

It's a great carving wood; lots of large sculpture are done with it. Also a lot of treenware (and it is a historically accurate wood for that).

Andy, How much do you want? Do I see a statue in you future?:gar-Bi

CarvedTones

Andy
Andy, How much do you want? Do I see a statue in you future?:gar-Bi

Maybe way in the future. I have some "on the hoof" that needs to come down one of these days and I probably will roll 2 or 3 decent size pieces onto blocks under cover. You need serious hoisting equipment and a lot of shop/studio space to safely do that sort of stuff.

I am keeping my eye out for some pieces to try carving some treenware bread bowls. I just responded to a local ad yesterday but never heard back. The "free wood" goes pretty quick in the winter. But I am sure I will stumble across some locally before I "need" to...

EDIT - A quick "WOOHOO" update. I got a call back from the person who has a bunch locally and will pick up a few pieces, enough to keep me busy for some time, on the way home...

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Dennis,

feather.jpg

Nice artwork. :thumbs_up :thumbs_up I'm assuming that is a rather large feather, right?
I'm guessing the poor carver couldn't afford any good wood.
But I'll stand by my original statement:

Thus far on this site I've seen sweetgum used for 3 things:

2. Firewood.

:icon_thum :icon_thum
Thanks for the picture. It really is a nice piece.

CarvedTones

Andy
Nice artwork. :thumbs_up :thumbs_up I'm assuming that is a rather large feather, right?
I'm guessing the poor carver couldn't afford any good wood.
But I'll stand by my original statement:

:icon_thum :icon_thum
Thanks for the picture. It really is a nice piece.

That is not mine, just in case I fooled anyone...

I think there is some truth to the value, or lack thereof as lumber, contributing to its use in carving. The heartwood has nice color and long clear sections are common. If it twists like a pretzel while it dries, so what? Just pick through the pile and find one shaped close enough to what you want in one orientation or another.

I picked up 4 rounds about 2' in diameter and 15" - 20" high/long plus a nice poplar crotch thrown in for good measure. I will cut it up into several turning and carving blanks. Pictures at some point, maybe. I want to try one dough bowl carved green and see what happens to it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS