anyone with Oshlun 8" dado?

Status
Not open for further replies.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I need a new dado, since my old 6" will not work with the sawstop. I have a Freud SD306 - about 15 years old and still cuts perfect. I don't use it a lot. I was considering the Oshlun...the reviews on Amazon are good, but they seem to all be from beginners coming from a sears wobble dado. So I'd like to hear about the cut quality and if possible, any comparisons to more well-know brands (Freud, etc).

TIA,
Chris

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Chris, for about the same money you can get the DeWalt / Delta set from Grizzly. Over at Woodnet, knotscott does an extensive review of both blades and dados. He gives higher marks to the DeWalt / Delta than them Olshun . I own several sets (Forrest Dado King, Freud SD 208, Freud Safety Dado, Freud Dial a Width) and use the 208 the most.

Dan Bowman

New User
Dan Bowman
I have the 6" Oshlun and the cut quality is very good, but the actual widths are considerably less than nominal. I either have to shim (a lot) for dados or stack an extra blade and bury the excess in a sacrificial fence for rabbets. Bottom line - the necessary fiddling makes them more of a pain than I would expect.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Chris - FYI, I have a NIB Freud SD208, 5/8" arbor for sale for $60 + ship (not that you should need shipping).

The Freud is surplus as I ended up having to buy a different dado set to fit my saw which has a larger arbor.

-Mark

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Chris, for about the same money you can get the DeWalt / Delta set from Grizzly. Over at Woodnet, knotscott does an extensive review of both blades and dados. He gives higher marks to the DeWalt / Delta than them Olshun . I own several sets (Forrest Dado King, Freud SD 208, Freud Safety Dado, Freud Dial a Width) and use the 208 the most.

I looked it up - and I've found a few reviewers that seem to agree with knotscott. Also found

I found knotscott's review on lumberjocks:
http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/766
Also found this comparison to the Oshlun set:
http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=4885845
which indicate that the "bat wings" are noticeable smaller with the Delta/Dewalt.

So I think I'll likely be ordering that one. $100 from Grizzly plus shipping. That is a good bit less than I paid for my Freud SD306 (on sale) 15 years ago...not even counting inflation!

Thanks for the feedback!

Chris

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS