You gotta get up pretty early... (GLOAT!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Yup, I made it in plenty of time. I got ticket #3 of 12 at the Sandy Springs, GA Rockler and when the doors opened at 7:00, this became mine:

HPIM0397.jpg

More later (probably late tomorrow or Sunday) as I am still visiting. "Papa Louis" and I just managed to sneak out for a few minutes to try it out on the tailgate of his truck. Oh so smooth and solid feeling. That nice quiet whirring up to speed. Gotta go...

:) :)

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Nice score Andy, was expecting ta see a turkey leg turning away on there!! :rotflm::rotflm:

Oh yeah, you ROCK :icon_chee :icon_chee

Brian.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Nice score, Andy!!!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

So.........if the doors opened at 7:00AM and you were number 3, what time did you have to set up the lawn chair and sip coffee?

I am sure that you will get plenty of enjoyment from it and produce a ton of projects, right off the bat!!!

Congratulations!:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Wayne

(Have a safe drive home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

CarvedTones

Andy
Sneaking on for a few more minutes before everyone is up...

I woke up before my alarm went off and headed in even earlier than planned. I got there a little before 5:00. I could have slept later, as the last ticket was taken not long before 7:00. But I wouldn't have wanted to count on that and the people showing up that "late" were in a foot race to the back of the line. There were people lining up for stuff other than the lathe.

"Cute?" :rolf: It won't turn massive platters or bowls (it will go 10"), but it can extend for longer spindle work.

Another minor gloat - Papa Louis has a *lot* of accumulated stuff from over the years and he gave me an old 1/3HP motor with an inline power switch on the cord. I will mount it on that old lathe. Then I will think about how to pass it on; no real profit motive since two key parts were given to me and the lathe itself was dirt cheap. I need to locate a deserving wannabe turner...

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nice score....Now you have to go for the expensive stuff.... turning tools, sharpening system and chucks.

CarvedTones

Andy
A little bird tells me that Santa might have a WorkSharp in his sack.

For the near term, my plans really are pretty small spindle stuff. Mike is going to really give me a hard time now; over breakfast I turned down a free large bowl turning lathe. I don't have room or (currently) the inclination and I won't take that from Papa Louis just to turn around and sell it, so it stays here.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Why would I give you a hard time? :dontknow:

Wait, did you say free lathe? :kamahlitu

No, really, I can understand completely. He will still have it when you get ready for it and then you won't have to move it twice after you get your new shop. :rotflm:

You know, my motto is do the best you can with what you have when you are able, so I think you are wise to make a plan and stick to it. The little lathe fits in your shop and will make wonderful tuning pegs. What more could you ask?

I have a watchmakers lathe I would like to refurbish and set up, but I don't have time nor room for it right now. Maybe someday.

CarvedTones

Andy
Why would I give you a hard time? :dontknow:

Friendly joking cause you turn platters I think are tables. :)

Wait, did you say free lathe? :kamahlitu

No, really, I can understand completely. He will still have it when you get ready for it and then you won't have to move it twice after you get your new shop. :rotflm:

You may be right. Right now, I don't think I am a bowl turner, but my aspirations have changed over the years...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS