Workbench base WIP - COMPLETED!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeH

New User
Mike
Re: Workbench base WIP

Mike,

I'm looking forward to more of it. At least I know that there is someone else here that works at the pace as me on certain projects:lol:.

Good Luck,
Jimmy:)

Oh yeah! I don't want to rush a good thing. :lol:

MikeH

New User
Mike

Well....The end of the journey is near. Here are 2 pics of the base glued up and clamped and the last pic of the top on the base. :eusa_danc:eusa_clap:eusa_danc:eusa_clap:eusa_danc I've used 1" birch dowels to secure the top to the base. The weight alone will keep the top from going anywhere. It sure is heavy! Now I need to get the vises on and figure out how to make it mobile. I am also planning on building a cabinet to fill the space below the top.

Ideas are welcome!!!

IMG_1506.JPG

IMG_1507.JPG

Aint it pretty????????????

IMG_1510.JPG

Last edited:

MikeH

New User
Mike

Thanks Phillip. I've still got to get the vises on and oil the entire base, but it's a lot closer than I have been.

The sides are pretty well rounded over from previous years of use. Does anyone have any ideas on squaring the sides of the top?

J

jeff...

Ok I take that back - your not going to park your car on the bench, your going to park a truck on it - looks like it would hold it too... Nice bench dude...

nelsone

New User
Ed
"bout time!:gar-La;

Looks good Mike! Now get those vises on it! How rounded are the edges? If you are still planning to flatten the top? That will help it some, then maybe trim the edges a little? I have a hand held electric planner if you want to use it.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member

That looks great! Better get those vises on quick, or you'll cover the surface with tools, projects etc. and won't have room to work :) Before you know it, it'll be 2009 :rolf:

Man that thing looks solid, that should really help with your projects.

MikeH

New User
Mike
"bout time!:gar-La;

Looks good Mike! Now get those vises on it! How rounded are the edges? If you are still planning to flatten the top? That will help it some, then maybe trim the edges a little? I have a hand held electric planner if you want to use it.

I think I have a way of solving the rounded edges. I'm going to edge band the entire top so the top of the band it flush with the top. Then I'll route out an area between the edge band and the level part of the top and glue in a contrasting wood. Problem solved. :eusa_danc

Does this make sense?

nelsone

New User
Ed
Makes sense to me! I think that will look good, nothing like a little inlay to add some pop to a workbench!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
You will be able to do some serious pounding and persuading on that bench!!! Sure looks like ain't gonna go anywhere.

Great work. Bet you are almost ready to put it to work!:wsmile:

Thanks for sharing the latest progress.

Wayne

MikeH

New User
Mike
Makes sense to me! I think that will look good, nothing like a little inlay to add some pop to a workbench!

Yup! Now all I have to do is figure out how to make the rails and sled to run the router over the top. Does anyone have good plans or ideas for this?

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Looks great Mike! Happy to see your progress. Mine is exactly where it was in the photo from a year ago but now has about 3 ft of stuff piled up on it. I've been wondering about the same round edge problem with my half of the top.

Here's where I'm heading with mine:

The top is a bunch of individual 2" thick Maple boards bolted together (not glued) on edge. You can unbolt it and run the top edge of each board through a jointer taking off just the amount you need to clean it up. Run the 2 outside pieces through your planer to get a square corner. Then reassemble upside down on a flat surface with a few clamping cauls running perpendicular to keep it flat and tighten the bolts. You have ~1/4" leeway in the holes for the threaded rods so all boards don't have to be the same width. Flip it over and replace it on your base and wrap it up.

Remember my advise about checking the top with a metal detector! Just takes 1 brad to ruin your day.

MikeH

New User
Mike
The top is a bunch of individual 2" thick Maple boards bolted together (not glued) on edge. You can unbolt it and run the top edge of each board through a jointer taking off just the amount you need to clean it up. Run the 2 outside pieces through your planer to get a square corner. Then reassemble upside down on a flat surface with a few clamping cauls running perpendicular to keep it flat and tighten the bolts. You have ~1/4" leeway in the holes for the threaded rods so all boards don't have to be the same width. Flip it over and replace it on your base and wrap it up.

Remember my advise about checking the top with a metal detector! Just takes 1 brad to ruin your day.

Thanks Mark. The base is very solid and I can hardly move the bench. I need ideas on making it mobile.

I'm leary of unbolting the top. Who knows how long it has been bolted and I'm afraid of what the pieces might do once released. I think I'm just going to go over it with a metal detector and then run a router over it to smooth it out. I'll be curious to see if the wood wants to move when you unbolt it.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Lookin good, Mike. :icon_thum

Are you going to add drawers?

(I'm STILL working on my workbench drawers.) :)

Chuck

MikeH

New User
Mike
Lookin good, Mike. :icon_thum

Are you going to add drawers?

(I'm STILL working on my workbench drawers.) :)

Chuck

I'm not sure yet. I'm thinking about a cabinet or something for storage. Can you give me a tutorial on how you flattened the top of your bench?

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I'm not sure yet. I'm thinking about a cabinet or something for storage. Can you give me a tutorial on how you flattened the top of your bench?

Cab storage is a good idea. :icon_thum

I used a router sled running on extruded aluminum rails to flatten my top. The sled made sense to me because
1. I didn't have hand planes to do the job.
2. I didn't know how to use hand planes at all. The task seemed daunting to me.
3. I had to remove a LOT of stock in some areas following top glue-up.

I borrowed the side rails from work. They were quite flat (I used a straight edge and a taut line to verify flatness). It took a while to make the sled and align the side rails. I then inserted a dial indicator and ran a profile of the top to find the lowest area. The actual routing took a few hours and made a big mess of shavings/sawdust. Eye, ear and respiratory protection mandatory.

Once done routing there are a whole lot of very small grooves that will need to be cleaned up. I used a ROS and 120 grit. They could easily be sanded down with a block of wood. A sharp hand plane could clean them up in minutes.

From your photos the top appears to be in decent shape. Have you laid a straight edge across the top in different areas to check for flatness? If your top is pretty flat then hand planes would make a lot more sense than a router. A wide belt sander would also be easier.

Mike, you will need to have the utmost level of trust in your router collet. If the bit slips it will cause problems. :slap: The sled must be FLAT and support the router with minimal sag. You must guide the router without applying downward force - the weight of the router will do the job. I started with a new bit and it was trash bin material by the time I'd finished.

Here's a pic from my gallery. I was about half way through routing the top. The photo exaggerates the grooves. The grooves clean quickly and easily. If you find a router bit with a very flat top and the axis of the router is perpendicular to the surface then cleanup is a cinch.

IMG_04792.JPG

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS