wolverine sharpening question

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsdoby

New User
Gary
I have a wolverine system to sharpen my tools . So far I have been having trouble getting a consistent grind with my varigrind attachment. Someone else sharpened my tools on their system first. I tried to just set up to follow his lead but have been getting different results. I have made some adjustments as I go. Am I trying to make this too complicated. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

stoneskippers

New User
John Skipper
Good post. I have the wolverine system and used it once mainly because we have not turn that much. I would also like to hear advise on it use.

Monty

New User
Monty
You will probably have some difficulty exactly duplicating someone else's grind. If you're happy with the way that grind works, you can go see what setting he used on his varigrind (I think mine is on the second notch from the back, IIRC). Then set the distance based on matching the bevel at the tip of the grind.

My best advise would be to re-grind it the way you're happy with it, and just leave the setting there. Take a look at this video from Oneway - it's excellent.

jtdums

New User
Jim
One other tip I found useful from the folks at a local store was to darken the entire tip of the tool with a sharpe marker when trying to duplicate a grind. Then you can place the tool against the wheel and turn it only by hand. The marker will rub off and show you if you have the correct angle. (When the rub mark is equal thickness at the top and bottom of the rub mark you have the correct angle.) This can be done at several points along the tip.
It enabled me to retain a repeatable grind on a swept back gouge that I have been very happy with.
Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors