Wine Cellar Project - WIP w/ Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty

New User
Monty
Re: Wine Cellar Project - More WIP w/ New Pics

Excellent progress! Looks like you're doing a great job!

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member

You have done a lot. Your level of detail in pictures and content as to what is going on is starting to exceed Monty's.

BTW, that was a compliment to Rob.

woodguy1975

New User
John

Looking really good. I agree your picture quality has gotten a lot better. I appreciate the time it takes to setup shots like that. I no longer take the time to do it for most projects. I'll break out my camera on the next rocker and use my tripod a little more for you guys.

Rob, you are setting the bar. :D

John

M

McRabbet

Wine Cellar Project - WIP w/ New Pics

Another week has flown by and I have made some progress -- the pics here were mostly taken last week before we took 3 days away to visit our daughter and grandson in Apex...

I got the Shelf Unit boxes assembled and applied the first coat of Seal-A-Cell to the interiors and began sealing the White Oak rack sub-assemblies.

Shelf Unit Carcases Short Vertical Racks

Next, I had to screw each bottle shelf onto one of it's mating long partitions and then seal each rack section and put then in position to dry.

Screwing on Bottle Shelf Three vertical racks with Bottle

And here is a last picture with a bottle laying in it's position in one of the vertical racks....

No empties please!!

I'll post more pictures in a few days -- Steve has made some progress to show and I hope to have some pics of more complete assemblies and even some of the African Mahogany in early finish status...

Hope you find this interesting... Rob

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
You have made some great progress on this project Rob. Your wine rack sub assemblies are looking really good.:icon_thum

D L

Monty

New User
Monty
Re: Wine Cellar Project - WIP w/ New Pics

NICE!!! Hope you waited until AFTER the power tools were off before you polished off that bottle of Door County! :lol:

BTW, nice pics! I appreciate the play-by-play updates. I hope you will inspire others to create posts like this -- I know I learn a lot of tips & tricks from them.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Rob, that is really starting to come together now and it looks great.

Thanks for taking the time to walk through the process with pics and words.

Chuck

M

McRabbet

The project is coming along ... I'm in the process of sanding the African Mahogany counter and tabletop sections (see plan view) while Steve is laying out the diagonals for the lower bins (see the elevation view).

Elevation View Plan View

Steve doing Layout Two Cabinet shells (Center is lower)

Since the White Oak and vertical rack partitions were in their first stages of finishing, it was time to make the Wine Glass Holders (see elevation). These were cut on my tablesaw Raised Panel Jig and sanded. To give them enough of a vertical gap for the stems of glasses, I added 1/2" high strips above the angled pieces. And I had a near accident shown in the pic below. Broke the cast aluminum insert when the blade hit the push stick and yanked it down into the insert -- I should know better and USE A ZERO CLEARANCE INSERT and a narrower push stick!

Glasses Rack (Sealed) Near Disaster cutting Strips

Next step was to get the African Mahogany for the Table and Counter sanded and laid out. Big thanks go to fellow NCWWer Sammy Samotis for the use of his new 35" dual drum sander -- two passes per side and we were smoothed to 120 grit!

Sammy Samotis catches the Tabletop Final Sanding to 220 grit

The tabletop is a 27" long by 24" wide sandwich of African Mahogany on 3/4" WO plywood. And to get that nice semi-circular end, I cut the plywood on my bandsaw, faired the curve on my drum and disk sander and then pattern routed the African Mahogany after it was screwed on. To allow for cross-grain expansion, I glued and screwed the first 3" of the African Mahogany at the straight end and let the remainder float, secured by three screws in 1/2" long slots in the plywood backing. Next came the grain filler -- Pore-'O-Pac from Behlen cut 4:1 with reducer and squeegeed onto the African Mahogany.

Slotted Screw in Table base Grain Filler Applied

And today, I gave all of the sealed pieces their first coat of Arm-A-Seal, a wipe-on oil/urethane satin finish. I also got the sealer coat of Behlen's Rock Hard Tabletop Varnish (cut 50:50 with reducer) on the African Mahogany.

Table leg gets sealer Tabletop and Center Section

and Countertop board (9 feet long) A Close up!

WOW! What grain in this wood. Enjoy -- more to come next week.

Last edited by a moderator:

Monty

New User
Monty

Whoa! I just saw that pic up close - scary! 8-O That's a good reminder why a ZCI is needed!

cpowell

New User
Chuck
That African mahogany looks beautiful.

Thanks for the pics and explanation of the near miss. Glad nobody was hurt.

Chuck

M

McRabbet

Re: Wine Cellar Project - Completed w/ Pics

Well, I've been busier completing this project and missed posting progress pictures last week, even though I took several. Last time, I posted pictures of the finishes on the African Mahogany (AM) and from that point forward, I worked on finishing the sub-assemblies, applying a second coat of Arm-R-Seal to the WO upper units. Then they were pre-assembled.

Rack Pre-assembly and AM Pre-Assembled Vertical Rack

Meanwhile, Steve DeWeese has been working on the base cabinets, carefully laying out and cutting the complex half-lap partitions and their beveled ends. In my shop, it was time to glue the 1/8" edge banding to the table top. I found it was flexible enough to bend without steam. I added clamp blocks to the plywood table underside.

First Diamond Bin w/ Face Frame Table banding Glue-up

Assembly at the client's home began on Sunday, October 8th. Step 1 was to remove a base moulding and to install a 3" riser with 8 leveling feet. Next, the base cabinets were added and screwed down and together. An intermediate top was added in two pieces to provide a dead-flat base for the AM countertop and for the upper assemblies. We assembled the center section and added backs to the two shelf units and the vertical bin assembly. They were lifted in place and, surprise, they fit perfectly (less than 1/2" clearance at each end of a 9-foot wide unit).

Base units in place End of Day 1

I took Monday and Tuesday off for other activities. On Wednesday, the xenon light system was installed (4 low-voltage 20 watt "pucks" in the shelf units and under the glasses rack on a 3-step dimmer) and the AM sections trimmed to final size and biscuit joined together. The AM was not attached to the plywood since room had to be saved for clamping the three sections together as the glue dried. I did install my new signature medallion (thanks Rick Doby) in the upper side of the left shelf unit (Etched copper embedded in a shallow 1-1/4" forstner bit hole).

AM Countertop glue-up Signature Medallion

Today, I finished trimming and sanding the countertop banding and gave it a finish coat of Arm-R-Seal. The base cabinets got their second coat as well. And a final coat of Rockhard Tabletop Varnish was applied to the African Mahogany. Here is the final result (I need a fisheye lens to get it all in one shot because it is 9-feet wide and the room is only 7-feet deep!). Needless to say, the client is very pleased.

Left side Right side

Hope you've found this a worthwhile thread -- I certainly enjoyed doing this project, despite its complexity. Best of all, the client is happy -- enough so that I've been offered another project in 2-3 months to build a formal bar in their basement game room...

Rob

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Rob, that looks awesome, you and Steve D have done an incredible job. The signature medallion is the crowning touch, very classy.
Dave:)

dtomasch

New User
David
Incredible work, Rob. That's a very complex project with much flair. Your client should be very happy to have such a piece. Thanks for the step-by-step, I really enjoyed it. It always feels good to "put it in the books".

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Congrats to both of you! :eusa_clap
That is certainly a stunning piece. Very classy! Thanks so much for taking the time to give us the play by play.

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
That's truly an impressive piece of workmanship and you should be proud. I hope you don't need to be reminded that pictures of this project go into your portfolio. If this doesn't impress prospective clients, I don't know what would.
Roy

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Rob/Steve,

Great job:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap, it makes me want to run out and get some wine.

Dan C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS