Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
3' L x 2' dia Dogwood and BW handle - bored the Dogwood thru did get it exactly
Mallet5.jpg

View image in gallery

centered when I turned it around but it does have a snug fit - as you can see on the end it is off a little - I filled it with med CA

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I like dogwood and bw together, too bad dogwood's don't get big enough to make lumber from them!

Nice hammer!

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Wow that is very Nice~!

That must be one Massive Mallet at those diamentions~! Almost like a huge club~! :rotflm:

So if the Dogwood is 3' long X 2' diameter, How long is the handle? 5 or so feet long? :rotflm:

Sorry I couln't help myself.

erasmussen

New User
RAS
Must have took a lot of CA.
Looks good, but are you going to go bear hunting with that huge thing, and where did you find a lathe big enough to turn it?

PChristy

New User
Phillip
:rotflm::rotflm: You guys don't miss nuttin - it is 3"x2" the handle is 12" over all :rotflm::rotflm:

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
I was wondering how you were going to swig that thing:icon_scra.At first I thought it was as big as you:rotflm::rotflm:.

Orta work just fine.

Just don't mash your finger:gar-La;.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
well.... why didnt ya say so?:rotflm: i think it'll woik. why soitinly!:icon_thum

It might be to light - I think on the next one I might leave about half of the through hole empty so that it can be filled with some lead - will that work??

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
It might be to light - I think on the next one I might leave about half of the through hole empty so that it can be filled with some lead - will that work??

shore will:eusa_clap but I believe lead has been determined to be cancer causing in caleefornee.:rotflm: good thing we live in good ol N.C.!:gar-La;

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
The CA glue doesn't have a reputation for holding over time. The shocks of tapping on a carving chisel may loosen the joint, but Titebond is easy and quick.

Light is good for wood carving, particularly the older one gets and Mr. Arthur is visiting the hand joints. Heavy mallets drive the chisel further and deeper than I like for good control.

I've got a dogwood mallet I made. It split as the heart was boxed. Even with the split, its still a great and durable mallet.

For driving the shaft out of an 18" planer, maybe something heavier.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
The CA glue doesn't have a reputation for holding over time. The shocks of tapping on a carving chisel may loosen the joint, but Titebond is easy and quick.

I didn't know that - The next one I make I put the TiteBond to it = thanks for the heads up on the glue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS