Wide drop leaf table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
I am in the process of making rough sketches/plans for a drop-leaf table, material not selected yet. The center portion will be about 12" wide, the leaves 24-28".
Weight is not a problem, saving space is foremost. Sturdy construction is important.

Would it be better to make the leafs from 5/4 stock or is 3/4 sufficient? 8/4 even?

In the case of either, would you recommend cauls on the underside for strength/flatness?
Thanks!

jmauldin

New User
Jim
Tom,
You could, of course, use cauls. But if you alternate the grain of the boards when gluing them up (grain up on one, grain down on next) and don't glue up boards wider that 8" you shouldn't have any problems. Just be sure to finish BOTH SIDES of the leaves (and top).
Jim in Mayberry

cskipper

Cathy
better than me - I don't know what a caul is... Guess that's why I make small stuff, huh? (either that, or fear, or lack of talent or wood or.....:lol: )

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
Let me start off with a technical issue. How do you plan to keep the table from tipping over if the center part and therefor the legs are only 12" apart? The first time someone leans on his elbows or you put a large pot of pasta on a leaf, the table will tip. Tables of this type will generally have two swing out swing out leg/table supports under each leaf.

I'll bet you mean "battens" rather than "cauls". Battens are supports screwed to the bottom of panels to keep them flat. If used, they must be attached in a manner that allows the panel to expand and contract. BTW, cauls are items used to either keep a panel flat during glue up or to spread out clamping force during glue up.

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
You are correct, battens it is.

If used, they must be attached in a manner that allows the panel to expand and contract.
That would seem tricky, they would have to be fastened pretty solidly to aid in keeping things flat, no?

two swing out swing out leg/table supports under each leaf.
Thats the plan, two supports per leaf.

M

McRabbet

We have a "Drop Leaf Table" that is also known as a "Gate Leg Table" that sounds similar to what you have in mind. The main leaf at the center of the table is only 13 inches wide and the two drop leaves are about 18 inches wide. It has 4 spindle legs, plus spindled gate legs that pull out on each side to support the leaves. The top and leaves are about 3/4" thick cherry and do not have any battens to strengthen the leaves.

Rob

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
>> That would seem tricky, they would have to be fastened pretty solidly to aid in keeping things flat, no?

Yes, they have to be attached well. The usual way is to slot the screw holes in the batten as the holes get away from the center. In other words, the center screw goes into a tight hole. The screws that go into holes futher from the center are actually in slots. That said, if you use properly dried and acclimated wood you should not need battens. Plus they may interfer with a gate leg support.

>> Thats the plan, two supports per leaf.

Just so I know we are on the same page, I am referring to the gate leg arrangment mentioned above. The support for the leaves must go all the way to the floor under each leaf. Supports that just slide out from the center section will not work on your table.

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
Just so I know we are on the same page,
Same page indeed!
Most of the tables I have seen of this style have had only one swing out support, including a table owned by my mom that was made by Stickly or Harden, I believe.
However, the single supports never seem all that sturdy. You get big folks leaning on the edges while having dinner and such and it seems like the single support would come up lacking. Thats why I figured two supports per side would be the best way to go although personally, I have never seen one with double supports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS