Why ain't it selling

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I put this up for sale the other day. I know it has be only a few days, but usually, anything I put up goes with in 24 -48 hours. I haven't even had an enquiry. At this price with the shelix head, I assumed it would go right away.

Any insights or suggestions ?

I really don't want to put it on Craig's List.

Thanks

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
Seems to be a common theme here lately. I guess with the economy and everything people are starting to get strapped for cash. I tried selling a router and ended up having to resort to craigslist. Even selling good lumber is getting tough these days.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Due to lack of space and funds I'm scared to even mention it to the CFO ;-)

Don't put in on CL though..

BTW..do you take payments? LOL

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I'd love to have it but I already have a benchtop that suits my space better. And I have an old Craftsman sitting in the corner waiting for time to refurb.

I figured it would go within an hour anyway.

Then there's the transportation thing. Took me almost a month to get my dust collector, which was fine by me but I know when you sell something you want it gone.

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
Steve,
Have you thought of breaking it down? Try selling the jointer minus the shelix, and selling the shelix minus the jointer. You might even wind up getting more for them than as a combination. Sort of like the parts are worth more than a whole car ...

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
For a Delta jointer with Shelix cutterhead and mobile base, this is a bargain! For a 6" jointer, it's overpriced. I can get a new one from Grizzly for $400. Of course, the Shelix cutterhead makes an enormous difference, but most people who buy 6" jointers (myself included) have no clue what that does. It's like putting a Forest Woodworker II on a used $75 Craftsman table saw.

Mark suggested splitting it up, that may be the way to go. Although it sort of stinks to have to do that.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I do not agree that "It's like putting a Forest Woodworker II on a used $75 Craftsman table saw." Delta makes a very good product. The Shelix head provides a fantastic surface. Almost no sanding required! A lot of people have limited shop space. A 6" joiner is all that will fit. This joiner with a Shelix is a bargain. Steve keeps his tools in terrific condition. I doubt that this joiner has seen more than a couple of hundred bdf, if that.

I am surprised it has not sold yet. I want someone to pick it up so I can post my 6" powermatic! :toothy9: (Gloat to follow soon).

Doug

nelsone

New User
Ed
Wish I could! Lack of job and dwindling funds have put any tool purchases out for quite a while for me.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I put this up for sale the other day. I know it has be only a few days, but usually, anything I put up goes with in 24 -48 hours. I haven't even had an enquiry. At this price with the shelix head, I assumed it would go right away.

Any insights or suggestions ?

I really don't want to put it on Craig's List.

Thanks

Im my case, when I upgraded from the craftsman 6" jointer, I wanted a wider and longer bed. That is a good price for the machine--------especially good for smaller shop space and smaller projects. There is a buyer out there somewhere for it at that price.

Jerry

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Looks like a nice setup, but I have to agree with an attempt at splitting it up -- maybe it would sell better in two pieces. Me personally, I'd love to have the Shellix, but not so crazy about Delta lately (plus I have a Powermatic 6" and only want bigger). Good luck!

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I sort of agree with Bas. I don't think of it as a knock on this particular jointer as much as the size in general. You're competing with bench tops to some degree (yes, what you have is substantially better) when people look at the size and you are competing with larger jointers when they look at the price. If you are serious enough about surface prep to want the shelix, you are probably doing enough that there is concern about whether a 6" will be big enough. But this is largely guesswork from a guy who hates spending money on tools all at once.

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
I thought for sure that it would be gone by now. Anyone who has seen or used the a jointer or planer with a shelix head knows what a difference it can make, especially when dealing with curly wood. Good luck.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I do not agree that "It's like putting a Forest Woodworker II on a used $75 Craftsman table saw." Delta makes a very good product. The Shelix head provides a fantastic surface. Almost no sanding required! A lot of people have limited shop space. A 6" joiner is all that will fit. This joiner with a Shelix is a bargain. Steve keeps his tools in terrific condition. I doubt that this joiner has seen more than a couple of hundred bdf, if that.

I am surprised it has not sold yet. I want someone to pick it up so I can post my 6" powermatic! :toothy9: (Gloat to follow soon).

Doug

Somebody bought a combo machine, maybe Sat. with the discount? Can you say Jet Combo ? can ya? can ya?

How close is my guess, it's an educated one because I've seen your shop size, and you're looking to sell a planer and a jointer.

Come on Doug, come clean:rotflm:.

Jimmy:)

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Jimmy stop hijacking this thread! Yes you're right, but I did not want to gloat without pics.:eusa_thin

Doug

Last edited:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I want it so bad I cant stand it but.... and there is always a but.... I aint gots no money right now! If I knew the cash flow was better soon I would have got it already. just cant! I am sure it will be gone soon. be patient.:icon_thum

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Great price, and a great person to buy from, but much like the picnic totals I think that we're maxing out on active NCWW members. Most of the members either have a 6" or bigger, or can't afford one at this time.
Once Steve sells it, some one will post asking if anyone knows where they can get a good deal on a 6" jointer. It happens every time.

Steve, if you need rid of it in a hurray, I think that you have no choice but to post on CL.

Jimmy:)

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
We have a wide range of skill sets and experience here. There are a lot of members that are new to woodworking. These people are slowly acquiring tools as their needs grow. A tablesaw is usually the first thing people buy. Planers and joiners are next as people realize the need to size their wood to their projects.

It will sell give it a little more time.

Doug

Last edited:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
OHhh, that hurts, I want it Soooo bad.

Better not, I still need to move and that is going to cost a lot, gas is still high and I'm still driving 100 miles a day, I really don't have the money.

Have I talked myself out of it yet? :swoon:

Why don't these deals come up at bonus time? :rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS