Which small lathe to get

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
I would like to make some pens and maybe some small bowls. I dont want a tiny lathe but not a huge one either. could you guys and gals give me some advice on what to get.?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
If you want a mini I would go with the Rikon 70-100 or the Jet 1014 VSI. With the bed extension you can do some good spindle work. You will have to mount these lathes very securily to a bench to turn any out of round bowls. By the time you build a good bench to secure and elevate the mini lathe you could have the same space taken up by a larger lathe with a bigger motor and more mass. If you're cheap like me the HF 34706 is a heck of a deal in in full size lathe. Or if you have some more money to burn I would look into the offering from Jet and Grizzly. Like the Jet 1236 & 1642 or the Griz G0584 & G0462

You always can turn smaller on a larger lathe but you can't turn bigger on a smaller lathe.

MTCW,
Dave:)

JOAT

New User
Theo
I agree with Dave, you can always turn small on a big lathe. I used to know a lady turner in PA. Don't recall what types of lathes she used (had about 3, all full size), but she turned some small, very delicate things on them. I've got an older 30 some inch HF lathe, IF I were ever inclined to upgrade (probably never), I'd make the next one. Fine WoodWorking had a piece long ago on making a lathe from wood. But I think I'd go for metal.

skeeter

New User
Charles
Jon, I have the Rikon 70-100 and really like it. It will turn 12" diameter wood 16" long where, if I'm not mistaken, the Jet 1014 is exactly like the name, 10" by 14". However, my Rikon doesn't have variable speed, which would be nice.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
I know there are several really nice choices out there on lathes.
For LOML we opted for the Jet with the variable speed and indexing head. Not a requirement, but sure is nice. I've turned for many years with a few breaks now and then ( health issue and divorce). I have a large old Delta but honestly, that little Jet has gotten more time from me since it moved in. Except for two things I needed that wouldn't fit on the Jet.
The Jet mini with vs was in the 329 range. I've seen it since for a little less and a little more depending on where you get it.
My next lathe will most likely be a large Jet, based on the little one we got. For the money I can't talk LOML into the Oneway's price and wasn't too keen on the Nova for the same reason. You ought to have seen the effort I made shooting for the Stubby! She somewhat mentioned me making a version of one that Roy Underhill uses on the WoodWright's shop :gar-Cr
Oh well I think I'll be okay with what we have for a while, and if the larger Jet maintains the quality of its little brother it will surely be a huge step up from my old Delta.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I set my father up with the delta midi, have no complaints.

Its small, and he outgrew it in about a year. But, he does bowls mainly.

I have been rather impressed with the Steel City midi.

One oft overlooked solution is a used shopsmith. Makes a very fine lathe and can be had for a song.

Jim

Badabing

New User
Joe
Hi Jon,

I also highly recommend the HF model. It retails for $279 but they frequently have it on sale for $199. You can then use a coupon to get 15-20% off (depending on coupon). That's how I got mine. With tax and a 2 year replacement guaranty (extra) I paid a total of $206!!! Now that's a deal :icon_chee

I'm very happy with it too. I turn lots of pens and bottlestoppers on it (no bowls yet). It was easy to put together, perfectly aligned, has variable speed without needing to move the belts on the pulleys, and it has a 12" x 34" capacity approximately.

I had budgeted about $500 when I first started shopping for a lathe. With this one, I was able to get the lathe, chisel set, and all I needed to start making pens without going over budget :gar-Bi

garymuto

New User
Gary
I also have the HF 34706 12"-36" lathe. The headstock can vibrate if you take heavy cuts. It's designed to swivel so it is not as rigid as it could be. I'm willing to upgrade if I decide I really like it. Right now I'm able to invest in turnung tools that
I can use with this lathe or on an upgraded model. Supposedly you can turn up to 12" in diameter and 33" in length. I'd bet it could do either, but is underpowered to to both. It was a good starter choice for me.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
The Good Will lathe is a Rikon. Perhaps, some of the people who have had will pipe up and then tell you what they bought after they had it.

I love'd it and for some things I miss it.

jimwill48

James
I also have the HF and a Jet 1014 and love both, but was in Woodcraft last week and saw the new Jet 20" bed Midi Lathe, not sure of the model but looks good for $300. :gar-Bi Also comes with two tool rests and the indexing set-up.

JW

DavidF

New User
David
I had the "good will" Rikon and loved it. I was ready to purchase one of those when I started to read great things about the HF model. I ended up getting the HF for around $150 and that left enough for tools and a decent chuck. I do prefer the variable speed of the HF to the pulley change method for the Rikon, but other than that the choice was down to price in the end and there seemed no reason NOT to buy the HF lathe.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
The woman he gave it to keeps a couple hundred Nitrogen and Oxygen molecules in it.:wink_smil The lid fits perfectly! Awesome job Mike!

Wildwood

New User
Wildwood
The Jet 1236 and it’s HF clone make great starter lathes. Depending upon how much and what you turn may be the only wood lathe you ever need.

The Jet 1236, pretty much replaced by the Jet 1440 lathe.

So assume you buying a used Jet 1236 for $220. Basically you want a lathe that’s complete, no unusual noises, all levers, handles, wheels work and hold. Belts are serviceable.

Tool rest & base should not move once locked down. Push on them. Same goes for the tail stock. You really don’t to have to break out wrenches to lock stuff down when turning.

Check the lathe spindle by hand, should not have any free play or grinding noise when you rotate it.

You want to check head stock/tail stock alignment by inserting drive center in head stock and with live center in tail stock bring the tail stock up to the head stock and see if both centers meet dead on.. There are some simple adjustments that might take care of the problem, then again maybe not

Turn the lathe on. You don’t want to hear a bunch of noise when it’s running. This lathe comes with variable speed (reeves drive) should not make noise, or vibrate at different speeds when changing speeds without wood mounted.. Speed changes should be smooth up and down. .

You may end up with vibration problems later on with wood mounted in the lathe. Experience will tell you to lower or raise speed or add weight to the lathe.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS