Which Mini Lathe ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeeves

New User
dwight
I Am Looking To Buy A Mini Lathe. Any Idea Which One Is The Best? Mid Price Range Thanks Dwight

tom hintz

New User
Tom Hintz
The JET mini (1014 series) will get lots of votes as it is the most popular machine in this category and for good reason. It is well made, works great and comes in standard and variable speed so it covers just about everybody's taste. Then, they came out with the 1220 machine that is sort of a 1014 mini swelled up a little.

I have reviews of both of these JET lathes and a few larger machines at the link below with photos and some even have videos if seeing more on the features would help.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/index.html#woodlathes

Keep in mind that many of us wind up wtih more than one lathe in the shop. I have a Powermatic 3520B (big) and a JET 1014 mini and that seems to be a popular combination for a home woodworking shop. Of course, I have a friend that bought a JET mini a few years ago to see what this "turning deal" was all about and he now has five lathes.....

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Rikon 12-16
More bang for the buck.
I wouldn't bother with vs on a mini, save your money.
The speed changing for the Rikon is much simpler than the Jet.
BTW I own both.
Actually 2 Rikons and one JEt mini.
(One exception is a version of the JET 10/14.
At one time they went on sale for $300.00 with VS and an indexing head.
V.S. is normally $100.00 more.)
I can change speeds a lot of times for $100.00

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
Based on giving them a very good look, side by side, when I worked for Klingspor, I'd say; #1 Fisch, #2 Jet then #3 Delta. I haven't spent any serious time looking at the Rikon. From a distance it looks a lot like the Fisch. I have the Jet and it has been ok. The plastic variable speed control box is not very well made and the hinges have broken loose on mine. Nothing that can't be worked around. BTW, I do use the variable speed but only in the mid-speed range. I've never switched the belt even one time.
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS