Which Hollowing "System"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

timf67

New User
Tim
Thanks to Jeremy (Woodwrangler) I now have three lathes - talk about sinking (or is it drowning?) into the spinny blackhole! :help:

Anyway, since I am not a metalworker and don't have the time anyway, i am looking at buying a hollowing rig/system/jig for my lathe(s). I am sure there are some opinions and preferences out there and I would love to hear them. Let me know what you like and don't like. I hope to be making small and medium size HF's in the future.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Tim,

You accidentally put this in Woodcarving. I am not much help; I have only done a little with a Sorby tool that is not a system. I can tell you that free hand is doable, though probably not to exactling standards.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Experience ... well, not really, but I have used the Jamieson system. It's very simple in design, and seemed to work well. I just have one made for me, but I've yet to use it. Why don't you swing by my place this weekend and check it out, and we can talk turning.

flyrod444

New User
Jack
I've used a Jamieson style system once that a friend let me try. I much prefir to free turn my HF's. I use John Jordan's 3/4" hollowing system with his arm brace handle. I can now hollow down to 12" free hand using Jordan's system. Some day I am going to make a long 1 1/8" hollowing bar to try and go deeper. Start with small HF's and no less than 2" openings when you first try. The smaller the opening the more likely you are to have trouble.
Happy Turning,
Jack

woodArtz

New User
Bob
I've had good luck with my Jamieson rig. The laser attachment keeps me from making the walls too thin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS