Where do you buy your wood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamie

jamie
Senior User
when you aren't lucky enough to stumble into the legendary deals that people often gloat about?

In the past, I have ordered from http://www.hardwoodstore.com/. Nothing at all wrong with them, but it would sure be nice to be able to go and look.

I am in matthews, and would prefer to stay (very) local if possible.

On a followup- what about plywood? Seems that the local BORG only carries (stocks?) a couple of different kinds of ply-- where can I get stuff such as pre-finished maple ply to use for some shop cabinet carcasses?

Thanks,

-jamie

DavidF

New User
David
I shop almost exclusively at The Hardwood Store of NC, in Gibsonville. Good selection and nicely priced. They are happy to have the stacks picked over as long as you put them back afterwards. We get a discount there as well, which always helps.

decibel

New User
Patrick
Jamie for ply you can checkout wurth wood group near the Charlotte airport. They have many different veneered plywoods they also have some solid wood but I've got most of my solid wood from some of the guys on the board here.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
http://www.sloanswoodshop.com/default.htm This is a good place for plywoob they carry BB hickory, and others. I also buy some rare hardwood there purple heart ect, dont forget ebay I buy bowl blanks and plywood from there it comes straight to wour door. we have a member who sell on ebay and lives in NEtwon NC. You can also look in the IWANNA paper and Craigslist. I hope this helps.

bwat

New User
Bill
Rick at 'The Source" (see add at right) has always been very fair with me on wood pricing. I know he has worked with lots of other members as well on all varieties of lumber. Great selection and always willing to offer his expertise. (He does not stock plywoods but I believe may be able to order for you if the quantities are not too small)

Mooresville is just a jaunt up I-77 for you or challenge your GPS to the back roads. It takes me 35 minutes to get to the Matthews Woodcraft store from Mooresville.:icon_thum

DaveO

New User
DaveO
In the upper brown menu there is a link titled Woodworking in NC, that will open a drop down menu that contains the list called Wood Suppliers categorized by regions. In addition to the fine advice offered above you might find a few more gems.
I prefer to get my solid stock from members, either local sawyers or sellers. I also frequent the Klingspor in Raleigh, as they are carrying a great selection and have fair prices when you new those few more boards. I'll also second the Gibsonville Hardwood Store and Rick at The Woodworking Source.

Dave:)

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I now get all of my hardwoods from Rick at the Woodworking Source. I have bought from the Hardwood Store in Gibsonville, their plywood is second to none.

Brad Parsley

New User
Brad
On that note, anyone know what's up with internetlumber.com? The domain just goes to a linkfarm page. Haven't had the chance to give them a call.

GregSmith

Greg
Corporate Member
The best place to find out where to buy lumber is this forum, so you're off to a good start. :icon_thum

I've bought solid wood from Klingspor's, Rick @ themouldingsource, the Hardwood Store in Gibsonville, and others. For plywood, I've only bought from what's now called Wurth near the airport. I'm pretty sure they're only open during "regular" working hours 9-5 weekdays, but it's probably wurth a trip so you can scope out what they have and how much they charge. Years ago, they would give you a price list on request. I bought a piece of baltic birtch recently, but I forgot to ask for a price list. Their prices float around based on the market, but you can get a ballpark if you're planning a project. They sell solid boards too.

Welcome to the forum! :)

dkeller_nc

New User
David
Jamie - You're about 2 hours from Steve Wall Lumber in Mayodan, NC. If you're looking for inexpensive stuff, this is the place. I doubt you'll find lower prices except maybe on Craig's list. Generally speaking, Steve stocks #1 common and "select" (whatever that means) to keep prices low.

However, I've been there before when there was a fairly large selection of native species (Walnut, Maple, Cherry, White Pine) that at least 50% of the stock could be graded FAS. I believe he also stocks plywood as well, but you'd need to give him a call.

His place is very large, so there's stock that is what you'd expect to find at a mill, not a retail shop (i.e., a lot of it, and 14 footers). Surfacing is available for an extra charge.

The website address is http://www.walllumber.com/default.asp

Disclaimer: I've no connection to Steve, other than buying stuff from him on occasion.

jamie

jamie
Senior User
Jamie - You're about 2 hours from Steve Wall Lumber in Mayodan, NC. If you're looking for inexpensive stuff, this is the place. I doubt you'll find lower prices except maybe on Craig's list. Generally speaking, Steve stocks #1 common and "select" (whatever that means) to keep prices low.

However, I've been there before when there was a fairly large selection of native species (Walnut, Maple, Cherry, White Pine) that at least 50% of the stock could be graded FAS. I believe he also stocks plywood as well, but you'd need to give him a call.

His place is very large, so there's stock that is what you'd expect to find at a mill, not a retail shop (i.e., a lot of it, and 14 footers). Surfacing is available for an extra charge.

The website address is http://www.walllumber.com/default.asp

Disclaimer: I've no connection to Steve, other than buying stuff from him on occasion.

Checking it out now, thanks

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
I'm still selling wood and sawing, just by appointment. In fact I will have around 4-5000 bf of 8/4 walnut thats air dried that will be kiln dried in the fall and available.

thrytis

New User
Eric
I'm still selling wood and sawing, just by appointment. In fact I will have around 4-5000 bf of 8/4 walnut thats air dried that will be kiln dried in the fall and available.

Then i recommend Kyle. Good wood, good prices, good person, and not too far from Charlotte. :thumbs_up

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Jamie,

Kyle is king in the Metrolina area for best combination of value, selection and quality and has a kiln.

Brian (Bluthart) (near Kyle towards Lincolnton) has some nice kiln dried lumber (http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/vbclassified.php?do=category&categoryid=2 ). I got some ++++QSWO from him a while back.

Randy (woodbutcher) in Waxhaw gets some hardwood logs occaisionally and can saw but it'll be green and need to be dried. He has killer Southern Yellow Pine deals if you need to build something.

Ivey usually organizes a deal during our get togethers. Looks like he's bringing a bunch to the picnic.

Do you check the Materials section of Charlotte Craigslist? If I need something specific I do a custom Craigslist search on Google for a large area. For example: If I need air dried Walnut, I insert: air dried walnut nc site:craigslist.org into a google search box and it shows what's available in NC (nice deal in Rolesville btw from saw4u) You can do the same for SC by swapping SC for NC in the search.

If you find a good deal that's more than you can use but that you think others would join in with you, start a group buy thread. I was part of the 1100 bf Walnut Massacre Jeff organized a few years ago so I have more than I will use in this lifetime:gar-Bi.
Mark

jamie

jamie
Senior User
Jamie,
Do you check the Materials section of Charlotte Craigslist? If I need something specific I do a custom Craigslist search on Google for a large area. For example: If I need air dried Walnut, I insert: air dried walnut nc site:craigslist.org into a google search box and it shows what's available in NC (nice deal in Rolesville btw from saw4u) You can do the same for SC by swapping SC for NC in the search.

If you find a good deal that's more than you can use but that you think others would join in with you, start a group buy thread. I was part of the 1100 bf Walnut Massacre Jeff organized a few years ago so I have more than I will use in this lifetime:gar-Bi.
Mark

Thanks for the helpful tip-

I did that and found some oak beams! I cant use them, but someone might:
http://asheville.craigslist.org/mat/1155295905.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS