Where Do You Buy Quality Plywood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
The question on the plate is ... where do you buy quanlity plywood?

Up until now I've bought all of my plywood from Home Depot, Lowes, and one time from Charlotte Hardwoods. None of these places carries a wide range of choices, or a "great" price. I often hear of wwer's using different kinds of plywood that I've never even seen in person ... such as Knotty Pine ply and Mahogany ply.

Where can the hobbiest wwer buy this type of plywood? And can anyone offer up any suggestions on how to get plywood at a better cost & quality than the major home centers?

Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
To start, check the Wood Suppliers List on the right of the page. It has all the information that has been complied on the best places to buy wood. I could give you my recommendations but they would all be in the Raleigh area, and probably won't do you any good. So hopefully some Charlotte-ians can give you local recommendations.
Dave:)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I can't say it is going to be cheaper, but I buy from specialty hardwood stores a lot of the time. The hardwood store of NC carries nice stuff, but to give you perspective, a 3/4 inch sheet of cherry is $105.

I have also bought baltic birch/appleply from them and IIRC it is about $50 for a 5x5 sheet. I have purchased some of this from Woodcraft and the price is comparable for the baltic birch/appleply.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
How about [SIZE=-1]84 Lumber? Has anyone purchased wood there? What do they sell? Their website says little, if anything, about their actual products. [/SIZE]

DaveO

New User
DaveO
The 84 Lumbers in this area are only good for construction lumber. I would think that you would get better ply at the BORGs. They may be able to order it for you, as could a place like Stock Building supplies, but you are going to pay a premium for that and may have to take what they get regardless of the final quality.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
It looks like DixiePly doesn't sell to the public. The best place I've found on the Internet is Wall Lumber Co (http://www.walllumber.com/). My uncle recommended this place to me as well, so maybe I need to make the 2 1/2hr trip up there and pick up some ply!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Is Wall Lumber closer to you than Gibbsonville (The Hardwood Store of NC)? The HS of NC does deliver to Raleigh regularly, maybe they do the same to Charlotte. Dixie plywood might be able to recommend one of their distributors in your area. You also might check to see if Charlotte Hardwoods can special order you something. Also call some local cabinet shops and ask where they get their ply. They might be willing to sell you a sheet or two out of their large orders. I'm reaching here, now.

taandctran

New User
Thanh Tran
I used to work for a Place in Mocksville that makes furniture grade plywood... The name of the place is States Industries..... the number is 336-751-5388 Call and ask them if they sell to individuals.

stoneskippers

New User
John Skipper
There is a place in Shelby, NC. called "The Roundup Store" and it carries mostly 3/4" and some 1/2" plywood. It has plain pine, knotty pine, walnut, hickory, cherry, mahogany, ash, pecan and more. Not all of it is first grade, but most of is good and they have about the best price for sheet goods I've seen. It's located on highway 74 about 35 mile west of Charlotte.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS