What I've been doing with my spare time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Here are a couple of shots of the recent outdoor project McRabbett and I havebeen working on. Normally a 12 x 15 deck isn't a big deal, but when it's 9' in the air and you need to put a French door into the side of a client's house where no door exists, it gets a little more exciting.

We built a hinged rail and winched the door up after the platform was complete:

:eusa_whis
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=8285&size=big&cat=763

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Very nice, and great attention to detail. I like the double posts on the 45°, and the detailing on the top of them.
Dave:)

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
That is a really nice looking deck. I like the double post & 45 degree corner. A nice touch. How did you join the railings to the post? I bet you were a little nervous about cutting that doorway into the clients wall.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Impressive, but hauling all that lumber up is a royal pain. I did one once about 9 ft up myself, and hated every minute of it.

M

McRabbet

That's why Steve and I team together on projects like this -- there are about 2 dozen sixteen-foot decking boards that we loaded up top after the joists were in place. Steve managed the posts and beams himself, which he said was "a bear"; we hung the joists together (twelve foot 2 x 10's). I did the decking (first four boards from a ladder underneath) and the most of the railings -- posts were set and rail sections blind screwed from outside -- corner posts tied together with countersunk gutter screws. Not a difficult job as it turned out and the customer was very happy with result!

Rob

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Thanks, it was a fun project because of the challenges but it came together as planned and the clients were very pleased. Cutting out the door opening was probably a bit more tense for the customers than for me. I just wanted to make sure that when I opened the wall up, I could get them back weather tight the same day.

Timing on this project was funny, Rob and I collaborated but eneded up working independently more than working together.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Well done guys!!!!

That deck sure looks much more solid than mine! My second level is just supported by two 4 X 4" at the front. Fortunately, the upper deck doesn't see much use! (I still cannot figure out how the previous owner got away with a clean inspection with so little support!?

I too, really like your 45 degree corner design! :eusa_clap :eusa_danc

I really can appreciate the work that it took! That pressure treated lumber certainly ain't light!

Thanks for sharing!

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS